UK->US GPA conversion

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Stan851

UK->US GPA conversion

Post by Stan851 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi all, I did a quick search on google and this site but couldn't find any definite answer of the above matter.

I am currently studying (obviously) in the UK and have taken MGRE (got 99th percentile) which means I am considering this issue seriously.

FYI, my GPA (actually it's not GPA...whatever) is 80s out of 100. This might seem horrible to you guys but I guess this is regarded as 'high' first since we have quite a few IMO medalists here and some of them scored below 80(even below 70, for those who don't know UK grading system we have 1st class(70+/100), 2.1(60-69), 2.2(50-59), 3rd(40-49).). Anyway, I am not sure how high this could be out of 4.0 US GPA.

Secondly, I am not sure whether I should do 1 year masters course in the UK before applying to US phd courses. I assume this would make my application stronger but I kinda wanna save my time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. For those who have applied in this year best of luck for you all!

Stan851

Re: UK->US GPA conversion

Post by Stan851 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:55 pm

The following is from the website of one of my dream schools so I definitely need to know this!

Applicants whose school's scoring system does not use the 4.0 scale MUST provide the original score, original system (eg a scale of 1-30 or 1-100), and a converted GPA based on the 4.0 scale.

I forgot to say thank you for reading my post! Thanks!

arima

Re: UK->US GPA conversion

Post by arima » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Stan851 wrote:Hi all, I did a quick search on google and this site but couldn't find any definite answer of the above matter.

I am currently studying (obviously) in the UK and have taken MGRE (got 99th percentile) which means I am considering this issue seriously.

FYI, my GPA (actually it's not GPA...whatever) is 80s out of 100. This might seem horrible to you guys but I guess this is regarded as 'high' first since we have quite a few IMO medalists here and some of them scored below 80(even below 70, for those who don't know UK grading system we have 1st class(70+/100), 2.1(60-69), 2.2(50-59), 3rd(40-49).). Anyway, I am not sure how high this could be out of 4.0 US GPA.

Secondly, I am not sure whether I should do 1 year masters course in the UK before applying to US phd courses. I assume this would make my application stronger but I kinda wanna save my time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. For those who have applied in this year best of luck for you all!
Looks like you can give a 4.0 value. See (at bottom of website):

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/pre-departu ... mics/marks