kindly assess my chances

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
StyVrt

kindly assess my chances

Post by StyVrt » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi there,

I am an applicant from India interested to a PhD related to mathematical logic. I request you all to rate my credentials.

UG: Electrical Engg. from one of the top Indian college, cgpa-2.75, math gpa-4, project gpa-4, 1 intnl. conf, 1 invited talk abroad, 1 govt. funded math camp, selected (through a nationwide test) in best app. math grad school in India (declined the offer)

Masters: 2 yr. scholarship from European commission, 2 Industrial & App. math master degrees (Netherlands & Austria) in 2 yrs, cgpa ~3.1, & ~3.3 resp., lots of seminars/ conference. avg. grade in final project.

Recommendations: 1 avg. /above avg. from a renowned prof in logic, 1 good from a top prof, 1 v. good from a mediocre prof.

Tests: GRE math- 85%, GRE- 800Q/670V, TOEFL-110

SoP: have things to show my familiarity with mathematical logic, currently involved (informally) in a logic project, expecting a conference paper by march.

Kindly comment/ advice. Thanks.

diogenes

Re: kindly assess my chances

Post by diogenes » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:31 pm

You know, those foreign degrees really make it hard for us to pretend to know how you will fair.
However, your verbal is pretty good. :)

StyVrt

Post by StyVrt » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:37 pm

thanks for the reply diogenes.

well, my masters' cgpa is actually not so great, and what i have mentioned is the rough usa equivalent (hence the concern), but both these masters were very 'industrial' applied math program. can my 'other' achievements (including papers, attendance in a lot of seminar, current efforts) & test scores outshine them? any tip on how should i present myself?

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:10 am

StyVrt wrote:thanks for the reply diogenes.

well, my masters' cgpa is actually not so great, and what i have mentioned is the rough usa equivalent (hence the concern), but both these masters were very 'industrial' applied math program. can my 'other' achievements (including papers, attendance in a lot of seminar, current efforts) & test scores outshine them? any tip on how should i present myself?

Just keep one or more salt shakers at hand; but here we go:

It is really hard to transform international grades into US grades etc. So, while maybe your grades are just "ok," I have no idea what they mean relative to other grading schemes. It could be the case that your grades are outstanding relative to your class, but that your school has grade deflation etc, or vice versa.

Regardless, I would ask one, or more of your professors to make a quick note along the lines that "X has ok grades, but they do not reflect his true awesomeness etc."
However, it seems you know what you like and have the actions to back it up. So, I would apply to schools that focus on the areas of logic you like (nothing new) and write about your current and future research in your SOP. That would be one element that I would stamp all over your application.

StyVrt

Post by StyVrt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:09 am

Guys,

perhaps it would be more realistic to ask from experts among you that which (if any) of the following universities do i have a chance at?
thanks.

uiuc, cmu, cornell
upenn, psu, michigan
rutgers, cuny grad center, maryland
wisconsin madison
indiana bloomington, uc irvine
florida, notre dame
ohio state, iowa state, vanderbilt
illinois at chicago
connecticut

mrb

Post by mrb » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:16 pm

StyVrt -

I know how you feel and why you're asking this, but unfortunately I don't think you're going to find any "experts" here in graduate admissions. Probably the best thing to do, unless application fees are a serious problem, is just to apply to a lot of schools (10+), across the whole range.

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:20 pm

mrb wrote:StyVrt -

I know how you feel and why you're asking this, but unfortunately I don't think you're going to find any "experts" here in graduate admissions. Probably the best thing to do, unless application fees are a serious problem, is just to apply to a lot of schools (10+), across the whole range.
Sad but true. :cry:

The best we can really do is just share our small sample of classmates experiences, and maybe one or two other bits of info.

StyVrt

Post by StyVrt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:37 pm

i understand :| ... thanks anyways

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:28 pm

StyVrt wrote:Guys,

perhaps it would be more realistic to ask from experts among you that which (if any) of the following universities do i have a chance at?
thanks.

uiuc, cmu, cornell
upenn, psu, michigan
wisconsin madison
indiana bloomington, uc irvine
florida, notre dame
illinois at chicago
connecticut
Logic : the best ones should be Michigan, Rutger,...

The above schools seem too high for you except for Uconn, Iowa, UIC
apply for more top 30-50 schools

bobn

Post by bobn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:35 am

you should get into any of uiuc, cmu, cornell
upenn, psu, michigan
wisconsin madison
indiana bloomington, provided good recos.

florida, notre dame
illinois at chicago
connecticut, ... all those don't even need Subject GRE. all the best