Funded Masters Program

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
wooooo

Funded Masters Program

Post by wooooo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Hello,

I am currently a physics major with a minor in mathematics.I have a good academic record and have done significant amount of math courses.I have developed a keen interest in maths and was thinking of doings a masters in pure maths.Can anyone tell me about any funded masters program in pure maths for international student?

p-adic

Re: Funded Masters Program

Post by p-adic » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:03 pm

There aren't many pure math master's, funded or unfunded, if any at all. It's either applied math, biostats, stats, things like that, or PhD. Your best bet is probably to get into a PhD program and drop out after getting your Master's. I wouldn't recommend doing that though.

wooooo

Post by wooooo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:09 pm

p-adic wrote:There aren't many pure math master's, funded or unfunded, if any at all. It's either applied math, biostats, stats, things like that, or PhD. Your best bet is probably to get into a PhD program and drop out after getting your Master's. I wouldn't recommend doing that though.

But I haven't made up my mind for phD and the profs. at my institute told me that doing a masters would be a better idea : improve my chances of getting into better phD position and also get me ready academically.

p-adic

Post by p-adic » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:27 pm

That's silly. As long as you've taken the basic coursework in algebra and analysis, you should be fine. If you go to PhD after Master's, you probably have to retake a bunch of the grad coursework anyway. Most people come straight from undergrad. The only way a Master's would help is if you have bad undergrad GPA or if it gives you some research experience.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:33 pm

I think a Masters could be a good idea, if you don't yet know your interests. You don't want to get accepted into a PhD program only to realize halfway through that they don't have anyone working on what you're interested in.
p-adic wrote:There aren't many pure math master's, funded or unfunded, if any at all. It's either applied math, biostats, stats, things like that, or PhD. Your best bet is probably to get into a PhD program and drop out after getting your Master's. I wouldn't recommend doing that though.
There are not many funded masters programs in the US, but almost all masters programs in Canada are funded, and I'm not aware of any math departments that don't have an option to do a masters in pure math (it may not be a separate degree at all - just a masters in mathematics, and you specialize however you like). The funding is not always fantastic for international students, but tuition is much, much lower than in the US, and in most cases they will provide enough to live on if you are frugal. Some schools offer very generous funding, in fact.
Last edited by MathCat on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

pat2211

Post by pat2211 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:08 am

I think the master program is helpful if you already have a good background in mathematics and want to have some research experience or improve your english ( that's my case, I got a terrible toefl score). There are some good master programs like Miami

p-adic

Post by p-adic » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:40 am

True, Canada is always an option.

wooooo

Post by wooooo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Any idea on Europe? UK(cambridge, oxford),Germany,Zurich?

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:02 pm

wooooo wrote:Any idea on Europe? UK(cambridge, oxford),Germany,Zurich?
Cambridge and Oxford almost never offer Masters funding for international students. There are a few scholarships you may be able to apply for, but they are *extremely* competitive so I wouldn't count on it. I believe some German schools, such as Bonn, have nearly free tuition even for international students, but do not offer funding for your living expenses. I don't know anything more than that.

lonny_sti

Post by lonny_sti » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:13 pm

wooooo wrote:Any idea on Europe? UK(cambridge, oxford),Germany,Zurich?
Few years ago I considered on options to get my masters in Germany (e.g. Bonn University). From what I know since that time, their tuition is free (and now it may be free in whole Germany, but you need to check it out). You need to pay some expances such as library etc (~1000 euros per year). But you need to have a proof of the sufficient funding ( I don't remember the exact sum). You need to bring a bank statement with this sum once, no one controls do you actually use this money or not. But you are able to work part time by some extension via your student visa ( basically, European student visas may allow you to do some things which are impossible to do with USA student visa).
TL;DR: promgrams in Germany should be free, but you need to finance your living. Check it out :)

lonny_sti

Post by lonny_sti » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Also, if you are international, some European programs will require IELTS.

wooooo

Post by wooooo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:47 am

Hello,I have another query:

Though no university in Canada or Germany have Maths GRE as a requirement and only a few encourage it. Will it help my application if I can perform well in it and send the scores even when the universities don't ask for it?

dzosz

Post by dzosz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:37 pm

wooooo wrote:Hello,I have another query:

Though no university in Canada or Germany have Maths GRE as a requirement and only a few encourage it. Will it help my application if I can perform well in it and send the scores even when the universities don't ask for it?
Same question as above. I am taking GRE to strenghten my application for graduate admission (i majored in IT), but I'm not even sure if average european universities take it under consideration (I know the top ones do, but that's not my target).

wooooo

Post by wooooo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:08 am

Bumping this up.Any more universities to add to the list?

And also,any idea about universities in France. The whole admission process seems really complex to me and they seem to be no good english programs.?