Didn't Get Into REU

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
marlmr2649

Didn't Get Into REU

Post by marlmr2649 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm currently a junior, and I decided to try to get into an REU this summer so it would be easier to get into grad school. I applied to 6, and was only accepted to one. Unfortunately, the REU I was accepted to had an unspoken reply deadline, which I did not meet (I waited 3 days to respond). Now, I am at a loss. I'm not sure what to do with my summer, because I really don't want to stay at home to work the same summer job I've had for the past three years. I want to travel and do something that will further my education. Any suggestions?

p-adic

Re: Didn't Get Into REU

Post by p-adic » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:41 am

You could get the GRE out of the way, and do the bulk of your studying for the subject GRE. You could ask professors in your university if there are any research opportunities locally.

Abeliangrape

Post by Abeliangrape » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:41 am

I was in the exact same situation last year, I agree with p-adic, I was not accepted into any REUs, so i took the general GRE but I procrastinated studying for the subject GRE till it was too late which did not turn out so well for me. This is definitely one of my biggest regrets. Preparing for the GREs are the best thing you can do.

marlmr2649

Post by marlmr2649 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:51 pm

p-adic wrote:You could get the GRE out of the way, and do the bulk of your studying for the subject GRE. You could ask professors in your university if there are any research opportunities locally.
I will have already taken both before the summer starts.

p-adic

Post by p-adic » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:56 pm

If you get satisfactory scores on both, then ask professors about local research. Or work on your grad school applications. Start studying for quals. Learn to program and start a company. Whatever.