Profile Evaluation

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
cryptodude

Profile Evaluation

Post by cryptodude » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:33 pm

I am a current second semester junior math major. I am deciding if I want to graduate after this semester or go for one more year and get a masters degree. The courses I have completed and am currently taking are:

*Calc1-3
*Intro to DE
*Intro Data Math
*MATH 4090: Foundations of Analysis
*MATH 4100 - Linear Algebra
*MATH 4600 - Advanced Calculus
*MATH 4400 - Ordinary Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems
*MATH 4010 - Abstract Algebra
*MATH 4020 - Introduction to Number Theory
*MATH 4300 - Introduction to Complex Variables: Theory and Applications
*MATH 6200 - Real Analysis
*MATH 4200 - Mathematical Analysis I
*MATH 4700 - Foundations of Applied Mathematics
*MATH 4120 - Fundamentals of Geometry
*MATH 4210 - Mathematical Analysis II
*MATH 4800 - Numerical Computing
*MATH 6190 - Topics from Pure Mathematics
*MATH 4950 - Senior Research

Here are the courses I would take if I stay for the extra year:

*MATH 4040 - Introduction to Topology
*MATH 4740 - Introduction to Financial Mathematics and Engineering
*MATH 6220 - Introduction to Functional Analysis
*MATH 6800 - Computational Linear Algebra
*MATH 6240 - Functional Analysis and Analysis for Nonlinear Operators
*MATH 6740 - Financial Mathematics and Simulation
*MATH 6820 - Numerical Solution of Ordinary Differential Equations
*MATH 6790 - Topics in Applied Mathematics

I am thinking of going for a Phd in pure math. I want to make sure there are no holes in my backround. Should I apply to PhD programs now, stay the extra year, or should I go to a two year masters program then apply. On a side note if I do stay, over this coming summer I have the opportunity to do research in a field I am interested in if stay.

Also I am in the top five percent of math majors in my school, and have taking the Math GRE subject test and also got in the top five percent.
What pure math programs am I competitive for? (If someone could make a list of reaches and safies so I know how competitive I am.)

p-adic

Re: Profile Evaluation

Post by p-adic » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:07 am

Just graduate and go for PhD. No one will care about 1000 courses instead of just 900. If you aced the math GRE, you probably know the basics of topology anyway. If not, you can take a class in grad school. By "now," I assume you mean apply this fall. Application were due long ago.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:45 am

Since the Fall 2016 application deadlines are long past, I think you should apply next cycle, meaning to start Fall 2017. The summer research would be beneficial, and having more background won't hurt. The only way I'd suggest something else is if you have some other plans for the time between now and Fall 2017.

cryptodude

Post by cryptodude » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:20 am

p-adic wrote:Just graduate and go for PhD. No one will care about 1000 courses instead of just 900. If you aced the math GRE, you probably know the basics of topology anyway. If not, you can take a class in grad school. By "now," I assume you mean apply this fall. Application were due long ago.
I probably should have looked at when deadlines are... :oops: So now that applying for the PhD programs is out of the question for this year.
What do you guys think my chances are for getting into a top 10 pure math PhD program next year?
Also can you can I do a math REU next summer/would there be a point in doing one?
And thanks for the responses.

p-adic

Post by p-adic » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:06 am

REU deadlines are probably past due too, but you could check. I got into a couple REUs in early March many years ago. A couple rejections in February. Withdrew my other apps after I chose my program, so no idea how late the other apps would've taken to hear back. Still, most of the deadlines are probably past, but you can check.

To be honest, without knowing anything about you, it sounds like you're more interested/focused on coursework than research. You list a million courses and talk about filling in gaps in your knowledge. If you want to take all those classes, perhaps you should do a Master's. It's very possible to do a PhD without ever studying measure theory, functional analysis, complex variables, differential equations, etc. PhD is about research, and the further you go, you'll realize the more you learn, the less you know.

Edit: Next summer? Probably no point. You'll either have a grad school acceptance or you won't. You probably won't be eligible if you'll be a graduating senior anyway.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:29 pm

An REU next summer won't affect grad school applications, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if you are eligible (I'm not sure if you would be). It could be a great experience.

p-adic

Post by p-adic » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:55 pm

That's true, but don't expect it to make you better at the type of research you'd do in a PhD program. Undergrad research is totally different. It could be a good source of income for the summer, but if you were starting a PhD the following fall, I might be more inclined to get to work on finding a place to live, studying for quals, things like that. But it could certainly be a positive experience in its own right.