Profile evaluation

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
JK112

Profile evaluation

Post by JK112 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:00 am

Undergrad Institution: Top university in East Asia
Major(s): mathematics
Minor(s):
GPA: 3.52/4.0
(upper divison: 3.88/4.0, Major:3.7/4.0)
Type of Student: International, male

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 170 (98%)
V: 153 (53%)
W: 3.0 (16%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 890 (94%)

Program Applying: Ph.D. Mathematics

Research Experience: 5 months REU, 1 very simple project.(just burdensome calculations.), no publications.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 3 scholarships from the university.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutoring Program(Complex analysis)
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: pure math student club, 2 years military service, deputy student leader of department of mathematics..

Applying to Where

University of Michigan- Ann Arbor
University of Wisconsin, Madison,
University of Minnesota, Twin cities,
Ohio State University
Pennsylvania State University
Purdue University
Stony Brook University
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, San Diego
University of Southern California
University of Washington
Georgia Institute of Technology.

Can you please give me any opinion? .. I shouldnt have applied for some universities..

UsernameMath

Re: Profile evaluation

Post by UsernameMath » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:44 am

I am an applicant this year, so I don't have much experience, but comparing to the past application results posted here, I'd say the places you are applying to are reasonable. Based on your profile, I suspect you might be from the country of my origin ("the service" if you get the hint). If you don't mind could you share with me where you took the subject test? As far as I am aware, there are no test administered in the country I am thinking of. You are welcome to send me a personal message.

JK112

Post by JK112 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:13 pm

UsernameMath wrote:I am an applicant this year, so I don't have much experience, but comparing to the past application results posted here, I'd say the places you are applying to are reasonable. Based on your profile, I suspect you might be from the country of my origin ("the service" if you get the hint). If you don't mind could you share with me where you took the subject test? As far as I am aware, there are no test administered in the country I am thinking of. You are welcome to send me a personal message.

Thank you for your comment. I'm sorry but I cant send a personal message because of my privacy..I have taken the subject test at Duksung Woman's University, Pyeongsaeng Kyoyukwon?, South Korea, September 19 this year. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your admission. Thanks a lot.

UsernameMath

Post by UsernameMath » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:54 pm

No problem at all. I was rather suggesting pm in case you didn't want to post it here publically (you can send messages to the users on this forum by clicking their username if you weren't aware). Anyways, thanks for the info. You have good test scores no doubt; I wish you good luck as well.