UCLA math GRE bar?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Barkleycool

UCLA math GRE bar?

Post by Barkleycool » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm an asian student studying math in the best college in Canada.

I have very good GPA and research experience, but I got 850 for math gre, which is not very competitive among Asians.

I noticed a comment in the other post saying that the gre score bar in ucla is 95%. Is that true? Should I even apply for ucla?

My major interest is pde and ucla has a good analysis group as we all know.

Also in general what's the difference between Canadian and US students in the admission officers' perspective? :(

AMGMScrub

Re: UCLA math GRE bar?

Post by AMGMScrub » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Does it even matter at this point? Just apply. To answer your last question, I believe you're bundled in the international applicant group. Apply to a lot of places of course. There's no guarantee of admissions at any place.

grad

Post by grad » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:57 pm

I got into UCLA with a score of 850. 850 will be fine for most places, I think.

anwins

Post by anwins » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:13 pm

I am an undergrad at UCLA, so it is what I know: Prof. Bertozzi (who is in charge of admissions) said that they either accept people with very good grades (like GPA 3.9+, Math Subject 95%, which is the average for admitted international students), or accept people with strong/outstanding research experience (e.g have submitted/published papers in journals or at least conferences, win some awards/scholarships).

The above standard is only for international students. I know it sounds very requiring, but is reasonable as the pool of international students is highly competitive. The above standard is not applicable for americans, especially for white females. I know many who have below 50% math sub still got into UCLA (but they attended UCLA applied math REU or RIPS before, and they are white girls, which means a lot, lol).

GeraltofRivia

Post by GeraltofRivia » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:10 am

anwins wrote:they are white girls, which means a lot, lol
:lol: