Submitting GRE Math subject score

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Edoardo

Submitting GRE Math subject score

Post by Edoardo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:06 am

Hi all, I am applying for PhD programs in Operations Research and affine in the US. I am studying Mathematics and took the math subject test even if it wasn't required for most of the programs I intend to apply for. I got an 82% score. Do you think it could be a good score to submit even for the universities that don't require it or do I risk something like "Why are you submitting a <90% if you weren't asked either...?"

Thank you all in advance for any help!

Edoardo

Mathwhiz25

Re: Submitting GRE Math subject score

Post by Mathwhiz25 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:27 pm

82% is really good and many people are dying to have that score. It would definitely be a plus for you to submit it. If I were you, I would.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:56 pm

82% means you performed in the top 18% of students applying to math grad programs. It is a good score, of course you should submit it.

Edoardo

Post by Edoardo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:54 am

Thank you for your replies. Actually I don't know how many test takers are considered in the computation of the score, nor how significant this percentile is. Does anyone have any more detailed info about OR departments?

arima

Post by arima » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Edoardo wrote:Thank you for your replies. Actually I don't know how many test takers are considered in the computation of the score, nor how significant this percentile is. Does anyone have any more detailed info about OR departments?
It is a good score. Cornell's OR dept encourages taking the subject test and submitting it. Though not OR, Duke's stats dept says it will not even look at the subject test if submitted. You just have to look at each OR dept under the Admissions page and FAQ's.