Profile evaluation and suggestions

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
laplaceiitkgp

Profile evaluation and suggestions

Post by laplaceiitkgp » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:11 am

Type of student: International (Indian), Male

Undergrad Institution: Foreign (Indian), very well-known
Major(s): Electrical Engineering
GPA: 8.64/10.00

Grad Institution: Foreign (USA), very well-known
Major(s): Electrical Engineering
GPA: 3.89/4.00

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 170 (98%)
V: 153 (59%)
W: 3.5 (38%) :shock:
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 700 (60%) :( (Should I send it when it is optional but encouraged?)

TOEFL Score: (105 = R27/L23/S27/W28)

Program Applying: PhD in Applied Math

Research Experience: 3 IEEE conferences and 1 IEEE journal paper on low power digital signal processing.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Performance achievement award from recent employer, 3rd place in Altera Design Contest (poster published in IEEE), certificate of merit in a math problem solving program in grad school, winner of several mathematical olympiads at state level in my country.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for Linear Circuit Analysis (4 semesters) in grad school.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Good grades in all mathematical courses (mostly As) in undergrad and grad school.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Certificate of merit for 100/100 in mathematics (top 0.1%) in class 12 board examinations in my country.
Recommendations: 3 strong.

Applying to Where:

University of California Davis
University of California Merced
University of California Irvine
University of California Santa Cruz
University of Southern California
University of Texas Austin
Texas A&M University
Arizona State University
University of Washington Seattle
North Carolina State University
University of Florida Gainesville

University of British Columbia
University of Victoria
Simon Fraser University

EPFL Switzerland

Questions:

1. Should I send my subject GRE score to places where it is optional but recommended?
2. I am not sure if I am overshooting. Suggestions for other places I should apply?

Thanks for your help!

AMGMScrub

Re: Profile evaluation and suggestions

Post by AMGMScrub » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:32 am

What math classes have you taken?

laplaceiitkgp

Post by laplaceiitkgp » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:58 am

AMGMScrub wrote:What math classes have you taken?
Grad: Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Physicists, Linear Algebra and Applications, Optimization methods in Systems and Control, Random Variables and Signals, Digital Communications, Estimation Theory, Information Theory and Source Coding.

Undergrad: Mathematics-I, Mathematics-II, Numerical Solution of Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, Transform Calculus, Probability and Statistics, Matrix Algebra, Electromagnetic Theory and Application, Intelligent Control, Digital Image Processing and Application, Digital Signal Processing.

AMGMScrub

Post by AMGMScrub » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:13 am

Take my advice with a grain of salt. But looking at your courses, it seems like some of those aren't math courses. Perhaps they're in an engineering department? Looking at one of your math course in your grad course list, it seems like it belongs to an upper division math course.

laplaceiitkgp

Post by laplaceiitkgp » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:56 am

AMGMScrub wrote:Take my advice with a grain of salt. But looking at your courses, it seems like some of those aren't math courses. Perhaps they're in an engineering department? Looking at one of your math course in your grad course list, it seems like it belongs to an upper division math course.
Yes, some of those are courses in related areas like digital communications etc. They are offered by the ECE department.

mathberk

Post by mathberk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:37 am

Undergrad Institution: Berkeley
Major(s): Applied Math
Minor(s): French
GPA: 3.52

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 159/75
V: 150/45
W: 3.5/38
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 560/26 and 520/17

Program Applying: Applied Math

Research Experience: Research internship at naval base about mathematical statistics and metrology in California; Research internship at naval about quantum information theory and quantum computing (co-authored paper to appear) in Virginia; Undergraduate researcher in computational biology lab at UC San Francisco
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Study abroad scholarship
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Directed Reading Program about group theory and quantum; Grader for 2 upper div abstract algebra courses; Currently a mathematics tutor at tutoring center
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: good letters of rec
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Study abroad in Bordeaux, France where I took 3 upper div courses in French; Fluency in French and Armenian

Applying to Where:
MIT - PhD- Applied Math
Caltech - PhD- Applied Math
UCSB - PhD- Applied Math
UCSD - PhD- Applied Math
UCLA - Masters- Applied Math
Northwestern - Phd- Applied Math
BU - PhD- Applied Math

What do you think my chances are? Where are the weak/strong points in my application?

Enigmatic

Post by Enigmatic » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:47 am

@laplaceiitkgp Hi, my profile is pretty similar to yours. B.Tech from IIT in EE, and now interested in Applied Math. I was wondering if you can answer a few questions. How exactly are EE and AM different when it comes to areas like statistical inference, signal processing, optimization, control etc. which are arguably the most math intensive areas of engineering? Also, what are your motivations for the switch after doing an MS in EE? Any specific suggestions will be very helpful.

I created a thread for my profile here. http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3565
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.