Profile Evaluation

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Dinstruction

Profile Evaluation

Post by Dinstruction » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:27 am

Type of Student: Domestic Male

Undergrad Institution: Unknown liberal arts school on the west coast
Major(s): Math, Computer Science
GPA: 3.91, Math GPA: 4.0

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 170 (98%)
V: 164 (94%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 740 (68%)

Program Applying: PhD in Pure Math

Research Experience: An REU at a California State University sophomore year on graph theory, an REU at Cornell junior year on fractals
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Highest departmental scholarship for a non-senior awarded my freshman year
Recommendations: A strong letter from Cornell, a strong letter from my home university's advisor, a good letter from Math in Moscow
Additional Information:
A paper from the California REU is under review
The Cornell REU resulted in a talk at the Young Mathematicians Conference, but no paper
I did the Cornell REU without funding. Maybe that shows dedication.
Participated in Math in Moscow junior year
Reading courses in algebraic topology, algebraic number theory, functional analysis and category theory because graduate courses aren't available to me
I completed the standard analysis/algebra sequence by my sophomore year and ran out of things to take
Math tutor for 3 years for topics ranging from calculus to topology

Applying to Where:
A wide list ranging from MIT to University of Oregon. Cornell is my top choice optimized for quality and chance I'll get in.

Will my GRE score and the fact I don't come from a well-known school with graduate courses cut me out of the competition? Is it worth my time to apply to any place in the top 5?
Last edited by Dinstruction on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMGMScrub

Re: Profile Evaluation

Post by AMGMScrub » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:05 am

I hear that the GRE Subject score is more of a standardizing thing when you come from an unknown school. It depends if the schools are familiar with your school's curriculum. Take this advice with a grain of salt. Of course if your'e coming from a top math program, you'll have access to graduate courses that are top-notched.

I say that if you have money, apply to where you want to go.

Dinstruction

Re: Profile Evaluation

Post by Dinstruction » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:32 pm

The problem is that I come from an unknown school and my GRE score is merely okay. I have letters, research experience and coursework at more well known institutions and programs, so I have that going for me. If I didn't have those things, I'd only consider schools in the 30 range and below.

Application fees and time isn't an issue and I can apply to as many schools as I want. I just want to know if it's even worth my time.