An intro and the feelings about the test four days ahead

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
SaudEhmed

An intro and the feelings about the test four days ahead

Post by SaudEhmed » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:30 pm

Greetings All!

I am a new member over here. I am from Pakistan. Graduated last year in Mechanical Engineering with 3.226/4.0 CGPA. Have been extremely passionate towards getting into math (pure math to be precise). I will take GRE Math for the first time on 25th October, 2015. I have studied three calculi, one numerical analysis and one statistics courses during my graduation. So I had to prepare necessary portions of linear algebra, number theory, abstract algebra and analysis on my own. I started my preparation on 6th October, 2015 as I was engaged in an immaterial engineering job for last 8 months that I finally quit on 5th October, 2015 to properly pursue my career in academia and mathematics. Went through Princeton Review plus 4 practice tests including GR1268. On average I fall in the category of 600-700 at maximum at the moment, I assume. Especially GR1268 made me feel the inadequacy of my skills and techniques learnt. Overall I am quite nervous about this test. Need good pieces of advice and words of encouragement. Also if someone could guide that how much would admission committees be normally expecting out of me in the light of my academic background if I apply to mediocre math schools.

AMGMScrub

Re: An intro and the feelings about the test four days ahead

Post by AMGMScrub » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:54 pm

Some schools will use the Math GRE to screen applicants. So don't bother asking which schools do that since they don't publish that information. I'd imagine it wouldn't hurt to have a good score. But the admissions isn't mainly on one component though. I'm certain they look at other aspects of your application as well.