Being absent for the test - any problems or penalty?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Legendre

Being absent for the test - any problems or penalty?

Post by Legendre » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 am

I signed up for the November test, which is just around the corner. However, I discovered that my preparation is extremely unsatisfactory; generally scoring very low on the practice tests. I tried the 2005 practice test today (been saving it) and scored below the 40th percentile. :cry: Although it is too late to cancel and get a partial refund, I thought it might not be a good idea to go and get a bad grade even though I could retake it in April. (some admissions might take into account the bad score?)

Would I be penalized for not showing up for the test? Will the absence be reported? Since getting a partial refund is not possible, I am leaving the option to show up open until the very minute.

diogenes

Re: Being absent for the test - any problems or penalty?

Post by diogenes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 am

Dude....take the test and just fill in the "cancel" bubbles on the back.
Just view it as a very expensive practice test, you already paid so might as well get something in return.

Legendre

Re: Being absent for the test - any problems or penalty?

Post by Legendre » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm

diogenes wrote:Dude....take the test and just fill in the "cancel" bubbles on the back.
Just view it as a very expensive practice test, you already paid so might as well get something in return.
I totally forgot about the option to not score the test!! :P

Thanks a lot for the reminder. I will go do the test and cancel if its too badly done!