Taking the GRE 2 times in 2015

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
laplaceiitkgp

Taking the GRE 2 times in 2015

Post by laplaceiitkgp » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:24 am

Hi,

I am thinking of taking the GRE math subject test both in Sept and Oct this year and sending the higher score of the two. What do you guys think about this option? Any feedback from previous applicants about the idea of taking the GRE multiple times? Do we have the option of sending only 1 score to the universities or do they get the scores for all the tests we have taken?

Thanks!

koala

Re: Taking the GRE 2 times in 2015

Post by koala » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:31 pm

I think it is a smart move to take it twice. I took the GRE twice a couple years ago (September and October as well) and my second time I scored significantly higher. You get to have a "practice run" - you test under a time limit, see real subject GRE questions, etc. I also saw some September questions on my October exam and was able to answer them quickly because I had already done them before, so that was a bonus.

As for reporting, I waited until I had my scores back and then chose which one to send. The drawback with this option is that it is expensive, $25 per school. I am taking the GRE again this Fall and I will report to the schools on test day, it will save me some money.

You could report both scores on your testing days, I imagine the schools would take the higher score of the two but I am unsure...I wonder if anyone else here has experience with this option?

p-adic

Re: Taking the GRE 2 times in 2015

Post by p-adic » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:05 am

It's not like they can just unsee your old score. When I applied before, it was before the scoreselect thing, so they were seeing all your scores anyway.