hi,what are the meaning of those numbers? I'm new here

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
breezeintopl

hi,what are the meaning of those numbers? I'm new here

Post by breezeintopl » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:39 pm

like GR0568 GR9768 8767...

I don't know the meaning of them...

thank you 4 ur help!

origin415

Re: hi,what are the meaning of those numbers? I'm new here

Post by origin415 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:02 pm

There are 4 actually administered math gre tests floating around the internet, known by their form codes (listed on the page before the actual test) 0568, 9768, 9367, and 8767, which were given, respectively, in 2005, 1997, 1993, and 1987. Obviously the newer ones will be closer to what the test is now, and the ones ending in 68 use the rescaled scoring system which began in 2001.

0568 is the one the ETS still uses as a practice test, the other ones you will need to google around for.

breezeintopl

Post by breezeintopl » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:14 pm

origin415 wrote:There are 4 actually administered math gre tests floating around the internet, known by their form codes (listed on the page before the actual test) 0568, 9768, 9367, and 8767, which were given, respectively, in 2005, 1997, 1993, and 1987. Obviously the newer ones will be closer to what the test is now, and the ones ending in 68 use the rescaled scoring system which began in 2001.

0568 is the one the ETS still uses as a practice test, the other ones you will need to google around for.
Thank you. but can we find some other years' tests? (maybe not complete is also ok.)

Is there any kind person who has taken the exam and writen something down about the problems?

Thank you~~~

joey

Post by joey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:02 am

breezeintopl wrote:Thank you. but can we find some other years' tests? (maybe not complete is also ok.)

Is there any kind person who has taken the exam and writen something down about the problems?

Thank you~~~
If only! Somebody posted about an old book with practice tests from before the rescale, but it's not clear if those tests were written by the book's author or had actually been administered by ETS. I have a feeling they'd be circulating more widely if it was the latter, though, especially since the book is out of print.

The four tests we have give us plenty to work with, but they're by no means exhaustive. I took the test once before, and I remember it containing what's often described: lots of calculus, a fair amount of linear and abstract algebra, and some other random topics sprinkled in. The "other stuff" I can remember consists of a question about Lebesgue integrals (Lebesgue integrability implies Riemann, and then the integrals are the same) and one about fundamental groups (fundamental group of the capital letter B as a subset of R^2 is isomorphic to... I don't recall... I'll have to study that!). The four previously administered exams all contain similar random, low-level questions from advanced undergrad courses. My impression is that these questions aren't designed to challenge you, but rather to test whether you've seen, understood, and remembered key theorems and concepts. If you've taken the courses, then, you can get some nice points by memorizing those big theorems. This is particularly important if you want your score to set you apart from the pack; everybody gets the calculus questions, but not everybody has learned the other material yet.

breezeintopl

Post by breezeintopl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:12 am

joey wrote:
breezeintopl wrote:Thank you. but can we find some other years' tests? (maybe not complete is also ok.)

Thank you~~~
If only! Somebody posted about an old book with practice tests from before the rescale, but it's not clear if those tests were written by the book's author or had actually been administered by ETS. I have a feeling they'd be circulating more widely if it was the latter, though, especially since the book is out of print.

The four tests we have give us plenty to work with, but they're by no means exhaustive. I took the test once before, and I remember it containing what's often described: lots of calculus, a fair amount of linear and abstract algebra, and some other random topics sprinkled in. The "other stuff" I can remember consists of a question about Lebesgue integrals (Lebesgue integrability implies Riemann, and then the integrals are the same) and one about fundamental groups (fundamental group of the capital letter B as a subset of R^2 is isomorphic to... I don't recall... I'll have to study that!). The four previously administered exams all contain similar random, low-level questions from advanced undergrad courses. My impression is that these questions aren't designed to challenge you, but rather to test whether you've seen, understood, and remembered key theorems and concepts. If you've taken the courses, then, you can get some nice points by memorizing those big theorems. This is particularly important if you want your score to set you apart from the pack; everybody gets the calculus questions, but not everybody has learned the other material yet.
Hoo,Thank u very much~~~you are so nice~~~