Math physics chance

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
zasdzcc

Math physics chance

Post by zasdzcc » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:29 pm

I have dual undergrad degrees in math and physics from US undergrad program. I am currently in physics graduate school. I am intending to apply as an international student for pure math phd with focusing on math physics as my physics phd program does not offer me such an option. I am interested in geometry and topology focusing on hodge theory related to string/superstring theory. My master physics GPA is about 3.58ish. I have not done math for 3 years so far. I got my Oct math gre score 850(88%) and my physics gre score taken previously was 970(92%). What is the chance that I can get into pure math graduate school? Say at the level of brandeis university math or caltech math.

MathCat

Re: Math physics chance

Post by MathCat » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:34 pm

What is your undergrad math GPA?

zasdzcc

Post by zasdzcc » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm

MathCat wrote:What is your undergrad math GPA?
Undergrad GPA is about 3.69 with tons of grad level math(analysis, topology,pde, and odes) and physics courses.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Caltech is a long shot. It's a very selective and small program, and being international will not help. You are probably competitive at several good schools if you have strong letters and a good SoP. I don't think your Master's GPA is going to help you, but they may not care too much about it, I'm not really sure.