Attempting 42 out of 66 questions in GRE Math Suject test

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
vishmaths

Attempting 42 out of 66 questions in GRE Math Suject test

Post by vishmaths » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:46 pm

I gave my Mathematics GRE Subject test yesterday ( 170 minutes). I attempted 42 out of 66 questions and feel I could do more if I had some more time. I lost time solving some questions.

I am targeting a PhD program in Pure Mathematics and I did bachelors in Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering.

Now, what I really fear is that my performance will not be up to the mark for good schools and because of non-Math background, I could end up getting rejected from schools.

Of the questions I attempted, I took my time and at most only 3-4 might have been attempted wrong.

Do I have chances of receiving a really low score? I am thinking of re-taking the exam after 6-months.

I apologize if this is a subjective question , I am just too much disappointed in myself.

Thank you for your time.

dlee5h

Re: Attempting 42 out of 66 questions in GRE Math Suject test

Post by dlee5h » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:07 am

A few thoughts:

1) I took the test today as well and in my opinion, it was HARD. I skipped 11 questions and guessed on 3-4; on the September 2014 exam, I skipped 8 and guessed on none.

2) According to the latest practice exam scoring guide (http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_math.pdf), your estimated raw score of 37-39 places you at the mid to high 60th percentile. But then again, this test was difficult so you actually might have scored a bit higher.

3) 42 out of 66 questions isn't bad for a non-math major. Since you have 6 months until the April exam, study hard using the materials people have referred to on this forum and you should be in pretty good shape. Try to get to a point where you can answer 55 or so questions on the practice exams in the allotted time. Even if you get a few wrong, you should be in the 80th percentile, which is good enough for most of the top schools.

Don't be discouraged - the test exposed your weak points but you can use that knowledge to get better for April.

Hope that helps!

vishmaths

Post by vishmaths » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Thank you for your answer :-) . It really makes sense and I guess I should wait to see the result.

functorofpoints

Post by functorofpoints » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:58 am

You're going to get the result soon so this probably isn't super useful but that was approximately how I did the first time I took it and I got 73% (760), if you're curious.

Hassan1

Post by Hassan1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:25 pm

We are in the same league, I attempted 41 questions and I have a lot of stress, I hope get more than 70%, even more than 60% is acceptable for me.