programs in probability theory and decision theory

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
jwm57pitt

programs in probability theory and decision theory

Post by jwm57pitt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:20 pm

I am planning to apply next year for PhD programs in mathematics and statistics.

I have a few questions regarding this:

Would it be useful to apply to both math and stats programs for these interests or is one better than the other?

I've been struggling to find a good list of programs that have strengths in these fields, so I'm hoping to crowd source a list of good programs.

Thanks in advance for the help and good luck to all the applicants this year!

dlee5h

Re: programs in probability theory and decision theory

Post by dlee5h » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:39 am

Don't know much about Stats programs, but I have spoken with some well-known profs and they've given me a good list of departments that have been historically strong in probability:

- NYU
- MIT
- Stanford (Stats or Math)
- Berkeley (Stats or Math)
- Columbia
- Chicago
- Northwestern
- Utah
- Washington
- Wisconsin
- Minnesota
- UCLA
- Arizona
- Duke
- UNC
- U British Columbia
- Toronto
- Cambridge
- Oxford
- ETH Zurich

This list isn't in any particular order and, as you can see, only contains schools that teach primarily in English. You'll need to look at faculty interests at each school to determine whether or not it's a good fit for you.

Re: Stats vs Math, if the school allows you to apply to both, why not? It should raise your chances of getting in. Otherwise, unless your application is very strong, I might apply for Stats as (anecdotally) those programs may be a bit easier to get into.

poorasian

Re: programs in probability theory and decision theory

Post by poorasian » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:12 am

I would add CalTech to that list and possibly USC. My current institution Arizona is quite good for the math physics side of probability.