Math Subject Test Confusion

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
bobbydd21

Math Subject Test Confusion

Post by bobbydd21 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:27 pm

So I am looking at ETS' website about the GRE Math Subject Test and the dates when the tests are being offered and scored.Seems like a long time, but I will not get my scores for the first test until after I take the second test. Is it advised just to take both tests in case of the chance that I do not do well on the first one? Thanks!

xor

Re: Math Subject Test Confusion

Post by xor » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:14 am

bobbydd21 wrote:So I am looking at ETS' website about the GRE Math Subject Test and the dates when the tests are being offered and scored.Seems like a long time, but I will not get my scores for the first test until after I take the second test. Is it advised just to take both tests in case of the chance that I do not do well on the first one? Thanks!
As far as I know, every year the second test results (c. September) are released a couple of days after the third test in the year (c. October). If you don't feel too confident about the Sept test, it might be better to register for both Sept and Oct.

Looks like an interesting business model...

bobbydd21

Post by bobbydd21 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:59 am

I agree that it definitely makes them more money. The test scores for the second test in October are not released until November 24th. Is this to late to send them to schools with a December 15th deadline? Seems like for the schools with December deadlines I may have to use my September scores regardless. Any experience doing this?

xor

Post by xor » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 am

bobbydd21 wrote:I agree that it definitely makes them more money. The test scores for the second test in October are not released until November 24th. Is this to late to send them to schools with a December 15th deadline? Seems like for the schools with December deadlines I may have to use my September scores regardless. Any experience doing this?
Hi, no experience with this, but I believe the Nov 24 score release date is definitely not late to use for December admissions. Maybe you can prepare everything else such that once the scores are ready you can submit them all at once, or else you can submit anyway and let the schools know that the scores will be sent to them shortly by ETS.