Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Overclocked

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Post by Overclocked » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:10 pm

yl2868 wrote:
whatever wrote:Stony Brook just asked me for evidence of a Visa to have on file in case they make an offer...

...I was born in New Jersey.

I love paperwork.
I got that email too (I'm an international guy). Don't know if this is a good sign. Since SBU applied math has a notorious history of giving PHD admissions without funding, I don't have a high expectation on this.
same goes for binghamton. I got accepted without funding...

poop

Post by poop » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 am

Atmosck wrote:Has anyone heard from Notre Dame? It's been two months since their deadline but I haven't seen anything on gradcafe.

They've sent out their first round of offers.

avemarya

Post by avemarya » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:11 am

poop wrote:
Atmosck wrote:Has anyone heard from Notre Dame? It's been two months since their deadline but I haven't seen anything on gradcafe.

They've sent out their first round of offers.
Which as far as I know means that we are either essentially rejected or they won't give out new offers till April, sometimes even after the deadline. That's what's happened in the past and also along the lines of what they say they do at their website.
Last edited by avemarya on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

applied12

Post by applied12 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:41 pm

caxton wrote:Please does anyone know anyone that's heard from UT Austin's CSEM or Ohio State Uni's Math Masters? Or maybe both programs are really taking their time this year. :?
i know someone who got into CSEM

caxton

Post by caxton » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:06 pm

applied12 wrote:
caxton wrote:Please does anyone know anyone that's heard from UT Austin's CSEM or Ohio State Uni's Math Masters? Or maybe both programs are really taking their time this year. :?
i know someone who got into CSEM
Oh wow :? :oops:

micapps

Post by micapps » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:38 am

Does anybody know what the story is with Berkeley? From GC it looks like they've sent out several rounds of acceptances and nothing else. From previous years it looks like rejections should have gone out by now, yet it looks like they haven't...

gre891907

Post by gre891907 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 am

micapps wrote:Does anybody know what the story is with Berkeley? From GC it looks like they've sent out several rounds of acceptances and nothing else. From previous years it looks like rejections should have gone out by now, yet it looks like they haven't...
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. I contacted every department to tell them about a fellowship I was awarded and Berkeley was the only one not to respond. My status on the online application is still "submitted". Did you try to contact them, too?

micapps

Post by micapps » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:05 am

gre891907 wrote:
micapps wrote:Does anybody know what the story is with Berkeley? From GC it looks like they've sent out several rounds of acceptances and nothing else. From previous years it looks like rejections should have gone out by now, yet it looks like they haven't...
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. I contacted every department to tell them about a fellowship I was awarded and Berkeley was the only one not to respond. My status on the online application is still "submitted". Did you try to contact them, too?
I haven't contacted them yet. I was hoping someone here could spare me the trouble... If I don't hear from them in the next few hours I'll write - I'm planning a trip to the US to visit grad schools (next week) and I need to know if they should be on my itinerary.

Hope we still have a shot :)

whatever

Post by whatever » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:35 am

micapps wrote:
gre891907 wrote:
I haven't contacted them yet. I was hoping someone here could spare me the trouble... If I don't hear from them in the next few hours I'll write - I'm planning a trip to the US to visit grad schools (next week) and I need to know if they should be on my itinerary.

Hope we still have a shot :)
I'm calling when they wake up. Calling all my grad schools, actually. I gots a life to live, I can't afford to be sitting on my thumbs til late April for my rejections.

I'll let you know if I get anything from Berkeley, but I expect a typical passive response. Maybe they're just waitlisting everyone this year. We're all gonna get in to Berkeley!

whatever

Post by whatever » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Berkeley's apparently made most of their decisions and will look it up for you if you call. I got rejected!

troopiedoop

Post by troopiedoop » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Just a heads up: UT CSEM has sent out at least some rejections. I see "Denied" as my application status, so maybe somebody has gotten an acceptance.

tsloth

Post by tsloth » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm

I received an email from Berkeley saying I was waitlisted. My status on the website still reads "Submitted," FWIW.

micapps

Post by micapps » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:45 pm

whatever wrote:Berkeley's apparently made most of their decisions and will look it up for you if you call. I got rejected!
Rejected too. Oh well. Guess it'll be East Coast.

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:09 pm

They must be reading these boards :)

Atmosck

Post by Atmosck » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 pm

I sent an email to Berkeley and they replied within an hour saying to check the website (it wasn't updated when I sent my email) and it said I was rejected. I don't know why they are waiting for people to email them and not just updating it for everyone.

caxton

Post by caxton » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Rejection from UT Austin's CSEM. At 3am in my timezone. :cry:

Heart-breaking but I am glad the tedious wait is over. 8)

asarvind.adimoolam

Post by asarvind.adimoolam » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 am

Gasquet wrote:Caltech CMS admit on GC. My dream school. :(

Anyone heard from Michigan AIM? There is a Applied Math admit on GC. Don't know whether that is AIM or not.
I got a response on 20 Feb upon inquiry that my application is strong but did not make it into the first round. But said there is a chance that I still will be considered, but can't tell when/if this will happen. It depends on many factors. I am anxious when they make an update.

I again inquired on 6 March but there has not been any update yet.

derivate

Post by derivate » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:50 pm

I have not heard back from 8 schools, many of which appear to have sent acceptances and rejects on GSC. Should I be worried at this point? I was thinking that I should contact these schools and ask about my status. To those who have done so, who exactly do you email? Do you email the Director of Graduate Studies or the department assistant/secretary?

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:28 pm

derivate wrote:I have not heard back from 8 schools, many of which appear to have sent acceptances and rejects on GSC. Should I be worried at this point? I was thinking that I should contact these schools and ask about my status. To those who have done so, who exactly do you email? Do you email the Director of Graduate Studies or the department assistant/secretary?
Well, some people will tell you not to worry, since schools haven't made all of the decisions yet. That is true, but if schools have sent out decisions already and you haven't gotten one, then you're on a waitlist (save for a small number of schools that might be doing things in other ways, for example by going through the applications sequentially and making decisions as they progress and not in a single go). I'm in the same situation and I do worry. Gotta face up to reality, unfortunately. That is not to say you won't get admitted to those schools, but realistically, the chances might not favor you as there are usually a lot of applicants on waitlists. So yeah, I don't know what to tell you. You can't change anything now, so don't worry, but recognize where you stand?

As for who to contact, I'd go with the person that's listed as the graduate admissions contact in the "contact us" section of the departmental website. Sometimes they might refer your e-mail to the director of graduate studies or they might have someone else dealing with it. In any case, I'd go (and I do go) with them rather than the graduate director directly, unless of course the latter is listed as the actual contact person. Or just call them. Often, they're friendly and will give you more info than what they'd give you in a short e-mail (perhaps not on the application, but you can ask more questions as you talk to them).

whatever

Post by whatever » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm

derivate wrote:I have not heard back from 8 schools, many of which appear to have sent acceptances and rejects on GSC. Should I be worried at this point? I was thinking that I should contact these schools and ask about my status. To those who have done so, who exactly do you email? Do you email the Director of Graduate Studies or the department assistant/secretary?
I always ask the secretary first, and they almost always tell you to contact whoever's heading off the admissions council (typically not the grad director). They'll give you that contact info. Call if you can find a number, it's more likely to get you somewhere. Just be polite and honest, I told them that I have to make some important decisions that are affected by my acceptance or rejection and need to make those decisions sooner than later, got replies just about everywhere.

I was definitely spooked at the prospect of them finding it insulting and it hurting my chances but that's utter hogwash. It's not like anyone opens a professional email with "Listen up b*tches, you need to put a ring on this." Maybe they should?

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:07 pm

whatever wrote:
I always ask the secretary first, and they almost always tell you to contact whoever's heading off the admissions council (typically not the grad director). They'll give you that contact info. Call if you can find a number, it's more likely to get you somewhere. Just be polite and honest, I told them that I have to make some important decisions that are affected by my acceptance or rejection and need to make those decisions sooner than later, got replies just about everywhere.

I was definitely spooked at the prospect of them finding it insulting and it hurting my chances but that's utter hogwash. It's not like anyone opens a professional email with "Listen up b*tches, you need to put a ring on this." Maybe they should?
What? No way! You aren't actually saying that admissions committees that want to fill up the small amount of places they have open for graduate studies in mathematics make their decisions based on who contacted whom at what time, are you? :shock:

aherring

Post by aherring » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:26 pm

whatever wrote:

Hey whatever, I see that you've been waitlisted by CUNY. If I may ask, did you contact them to inquire as to your status, or did they e-mail you? I still haven't heard a word from them-logging into my application everything still says received-nothing more. Waiting is taking its toll on my psyche!

ihatepencils

Post by ihatepencils » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Has anyone who hasn't been accepted to Michigan yet inquired about their status and got a reply?

johngeller

Post by johngeller » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Emailed
Last edited by johngeller on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

whatever

Post by whatever » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:14 am

Ryker wrote:What? No way! You aren't actually saying that admissions committees that want to fill up the small amount of places they have open for graduate studies in mathematics make their decisions based on who contacted whom at what time, are you? :shock:
Nope, I'm saying I should write more professional emails like I'm Ke$ha. Though to be fair, admissions councils have to be making arbitrary choices to some extent, feel like a lot of applicants are virtually interchangeable. My bet is on dartboards.
aherring wrote:Hey whatever, I see that you've been waitlisted by CUNY. If I may ask, did you contact them to inquire as to your status, or did they e-mail you? I still haven't heard a word from them-logging into my application everything still says received-nothing more. Waiting is taking its toll on my psyche!
I love my username <3 I emailed and asked. Like I said, started with their secretary, he passed my email along. Pleasant dude.

scotto3394

Post by scotto3394 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Probably not the right place to put this, but I just wanted to say this somewhere. I'm done! I heard back from all my schools, declined some of my offers (so hopefully someone else out there hears some good news soon), and accepted my offer to ESAM at Northwestern, which I'm really excited about. It just feels really great being in the homestretch like this :D Anyways, best of luck to all of you!

johngeller

Post by johngeller » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Anyone knows about the shortlist of Vanderbilt? Has been short-listed for several weeks. I guess it's different from the wait-list. I'm really anxious about it...

I appreciate any advice or explanation.

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:32 pm

johngeller wrote:Anyone knows about the shortlist of Vanderbilt? Has been short-listed for several weeks. I guess it's different from the wait-list. I'm really anxious about it...

I appreciate any advice or explanation.
Shortlist = waitlist. And it's dead season now, not a lot of people make decisions in regards to their offers mid-March. Usually you get off the shortlist in April once spots either open up or they don't. Sure, you see some acceptances trickling in here and there, but not the bulk of all the rest that are going to be made after the first round.

Pink Floyd

Post by Pink Floyd » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Hey guys,
Missouri has sent off its first round of offers, but I haven't heard back. Does it mean I am on their wait-list?
I hate siting around doing nothing but refreshing my email. I will accept the first offer with no hesitation no matter which one.

seanlikesmath

Post by seanlikesmath » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 am

I know how you feel, Pink Floyd, but that won't actually help your chances. I'm still waiting on half of my schools.

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:03 pm

Pink Floyd wrote:Hey guys,
Missouri has sent off its first round of offers, but I haven't heard back. Does it mean I am on their wait-list?
I hate siting around doing nothing but refreshing my email. I will accept the first offer with no hesitation no matter which one.
Yes, if they evaluate all applications in one go, it's either that or you've been rejected and they haven't informed you yet. I feel you, as I've been (and am) in both of those situations. Oh, and to add to that, there is also a chance they don't make decisions in one go and, say, evaluate in batches or split domestic and international applications for various reasons (administrative, funding etc.).

Quattrociocche

Post by Quattrociocche » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Ryker wrote:
Yes, if they evaluate all applications in one go, it's either that or you've been rejected and they haven't informed you yet. I feel you, as I've been (and am) in both of those situations. Oh, and to add to that, there is also a chance they don't make decisions in one go and, say, evaluate in batches or split domestic and international applications for various reasons (administrative, funding etc.).
Luckily, I only have one offer from Mizzou so far. I like it's math faculty. Yet, if I get accepted to another school good in analysis, I may decline Missouri's offer. Sorry to make you wait, but I am also waiting...

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Quattrociocche wrote:
Ryker wrote:
Luckily, I only have one offer from Mizzou so far. I like it's math faculty. Yet, if I get accepted to another school good in analysis, I may decline Missouri's offer. Sorry to make you wait, but I am also waiting...
Ah, I didn't apply there, though, so even though you quoted me, I'll just forward your sentiment to Pink Floyd :wink:

Pink Floyd

Post by Pink Floyd » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:25 am

Best luck with your applications, Mizzou is my top choice, their Analysis program is what I really want.
@ Quattrociocche: I hope you end up in Courant or Purdue so I can fill the vacancy :D

Quattrociocche

Post by Quattrociocche » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:34 am

Pink Floyd wrote:Best luck with your applications, Mizzou is my top choice, their Analysis program is what I really want.
@ Quattrociocche: I hope you end up in Courant or Purdue so I can fill the vacancy :D
Thank you! I like Missouri's analysis too. Am hoping for Purdue, where I can pursue my favorite topic or maybe UIC...

Best luck with your applications and research career.

Pink Floyd

Post by Pink Floyd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Hey guys,
You know tomorrow is Iranian New Year and my birthday. so I wanted to say Happy Spring and Iranian New Year to all of you. Best luck with your applications. I finally received my first funded offer, so I am so excited. I just needed to say something here because it is a relief to have at least one offer into the basket. :D

tsloth

Post by tsloth » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:29 am

Congrats, Pink Floyd!

johngeller

Post by johngeller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:19 am

Will have an interview with Vanderbilt. Anyone would like to share similar experience? Really appreciate it. I'm very nervous now.

X_cool25

Post by X_cool25 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:07 pm

I have not got any reply from UMaryland AMSC. Now, when i try to open application. it says:
"We're sorry, but your supplemental form is not ready to be processed at this time. Please complete your primary application and return to complete your supplemental form later." and therefore don't open. This is ridiculous. anyone else experiencing this shit.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Anyone been rejected from either NCSU or U of Arizona?

ltv1901

Post by ltv1901 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 pm

How many of u guys are in the wait-list of Wisconsin Madison?

safetybelts

Post by safetybelts » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 am

What's an interview like, anyway? Do they ask you to solve math problems on the spot?

kailun

Post by kailun » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:20 pm

safetybelts wrote:What's an interview like, anyway? Do they ask you to solve math problems on the spot?
At UNC they had "interviews" where we did them in pairs (sometimes in threes). They asked us about our background, our research interests, asked us to explain our previous research, favorite courses, where do you see yourself in five years, coding experience, etc. It was kind of awkward because most of the people interviewing hadn't been accepted, but they paired some of them with people who had been accepted. The interviews at UNC were pretty relaxed because they for the most part were just checking that you weren't going to go there for two years, get the masters, and drop out. I don't know how interviews are at other schools though.

seven

Post by seven » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 pm

In response to Gasquet,

I emailed NCSU and got a response on March 18th saying:

"We have made the first round of offers of admission and made the first denials. Your application was not in either of those groups. There will be more decisions made in the next couple of weeks. I hope this information is helpful."

So rejections have been sent out at NCSU. Hope I helped! Best of luck to both of us!

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 pm

safetybelts wrote:What's an interview like, anyway? Do they ask you to solve math problems on the spot?
It depends on the school, I guess. Mine with UNC - Chapel Hill was a phone interview, and I was asked questions about why I wanted to do a Maths PhD, why I chose UNC, what my favourite/least favourite courses were, and some other stuff I can't remember right now. So no problem solving. At other schools, interviews might be different. There's no set standard as far as this thing goes. But it's pretty relaxed.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:12 am

seven wrote:In response to Gasquet,

I emailed NCSU and got a response on March 18th saying:

"We have made the first round of offers of admission and made the first denials. Your application was not in either of those groups. There will be more decisions made in the next couple of weeks. I hope this information is helpful."

So rejections have been sent out at NCSU. Hope I helped! Best of luck to both of us!
Thanks!

Hopefully they will make more offers soon.

safetybelts

Post by safetybelts » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 am

I have 6 or 7 schools that haven't accepted or rejected me... Don't they have to say something by April 15? This is nuts.

Ph3N0M

Post by Ph3N0M » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:54 am

Has anyone got a recent funding offer from LSU? I know safetybelts has received one, but if many other people have also received offers, then I may as well forget about studying in USA as LSU is the only place that has not rejected me yet. :cry:

Also, do they send out any offers after 15th April?

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:04 am

safetybelts wrote:I have 6 or 7 schools that haven't accepted or rejected me... Don't they have to say something by April 15? This is nuts.
No, they don't.

Those who receive funded admits have to reply to the offer by April 15th. Since many people wait till April 15th to turn down offers, some schools end up having a few places empty after April 15th. So, some schools end up making additional offers a few days after the April 15th deadline.

Also, some schools are shameless enough to not send rejections till May.

ihatepencils

Post by ihatepencils » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:45 pm

so...where are people going!?