Working during grad school

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dasgut

Working during grad school

Post by dasgut » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Is anyone considering picking up a part time job of any sort during grad school? I'm considering getting a one night per week gig as a barback. Good idea? Bad idea?

Overclocked

Re: Working during grad school

Post by Overclocked » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:56 am

If you absolutely have to, in order to make ends meat, then I assume you wouldn't have a choice.

But if you're a first year graduate student, I'd probably take it easy. Don't overwhelm yourself from the start.

poorasian

Post by poorasian » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:04 am

Don't most TA stipends come with the stipulation you can't be employed elsewhere?

the_sheath

Post by the_sheath » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:47 am

Guess it depends. Some schools may allow it, others don't.

I forget which of the five schools' websites I read it from (since I was in a stressed out haze of waiting for results), but it said somewhere that they do not allow for over 50% employment, i.e. no more than part time, which is often covered by TA duties anyway.

A barback though? Don't you need those nights to study for quals?

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:52 am

the_sheath wrote:Guess it depends. Some schools may allow it, others don't.

I forget which of the five schools' websites I read it from (since I was in a stressed out haze of waiting for results), but it said somewhere that they do not allow for over 50% employment, i.e. no more than part time, which is often covered by TA duties anyway.

IF I'm accepted to the place I'm interviewing at tonight then I'll be taking quals this August before I even start.

the_sheath

Post by the_sheath » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 am

dasgut wrote:

IF I'm accepted to the place I'm interviewing at tonight then I'll be taking quals this August before I even start.
Well damn. Good luck!

(I did not know we were allowed to do that!)

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 am

the_sheath wrote:
dasgut wrote:

Well damn. Good luck!

(I did not know we were allowed to do that!)
Ha. It's not impressive. I've already got an MS so I've taken the classes. I just need to study.

speechless

Post by speechless » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:21 am

Does anybody know whether foreigners (i.e., students with F1 VISA) are allowed to work outside the campus? I have a job in an international company, and my manager is willing to transfer me to a US part-time position. But I am not sure if it's allowed.

the_sheath

Post by the_sheath » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:47 am

According to my experience with student visas (I had one in Japan), and the USCIS website, the answer is no, you cannot seek off campus employment. The f1 allows you to do so after a year at the institution, but certain restrictions apply. I think the idea is that you're there to study, not work.

Source: http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-sta ... employment