Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Gasquet

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Post by Gasquet » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:41 pm

aherring wrote:I see that on Grad Cafe someone has posted an acceptance to the GC at CUNY. Is anyone here able to confirm or reject the validity of this post? When I check my online status everything appears the same way it has for weeks-a list of the dates my materials were received...
Hey there. Another one from last year. Having better luck this time around?

lowdt

Post by lowdt » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:59 pm

aherring wrote:I see that on Grad Cafe someone has posted an acceptance to the GC at CUNY. Is anyone here able to confirm or reject the validity of this post? When I check my online status everything appears the same way it has for weeks-a list of the dates my materials were received...
I am not that person who posted on GC, but I just logged into my application and I have that acceptance message.

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Let's lighten the mood around here. I'll be amazed if anyone one of you doesn't laugh your ass off at this.

http://vimeo.com/13497928

Yes, it's math related.

aherring

Post by aherring » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Gasquet wrote:
Hey there. Another one from last year. Having better luck this time around?
Sure wish I was...rejection from Madison and a "refusal" from McGill. I was really hoping CUNY would work out but it seems others have been admitted today and I have not. How has it gone for you this second time?
lowdt wrote:
I am not that person who posted on GC, but I just logged into my application and I have that acceptance message.
This is through the CUNY GC admissions site right? There is not a math specific application page correct? I'm sure that I would know if there was given how much time I've spent on their site, but my paranoia gets the best of me at times...To put my nerves at ease would you mind posting the url for the page you log into to see your status?

lowdt

Post by lowdt » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:44 pm

aherring wrote:To put my nerves at ease would you mind posting the url for the page you log into to see your status?
Sure, it's this website: https://ssb.gc.cuny.edu/prod/plsql/bwsk ... spLoginNon

jaeliseo

Post by jaeliseo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Has anyone heard from Brandeis??? I haven't seen anything on GC.

Overclocked

Post by Overclocked » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Question...

If you know acceptances and rejections have already gone out, and you still haven't gotten a reply, does that mean you have been wait listed?

poorasian

Post by poorasian » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Usually, they'll have gone through all the applications once and the ones that haven't been accepted or rejected deserve some further review. Once all the review that is necessary has been done, and ranking everyone is done, there is a waitlist. So they're probably just looking over your application along with some others more.

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:26 pm

So...

...a school has asked me to do an interview. What do you they usually ask candidates?

Overclocked

Post by Overclocked » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:41 pm

dasgut wrote:So...

...a school has asked me to do an interview. What do you they usually ask candidates?
I never did an interview like that, but what I would assume some of the questions that would be asked are: Why did you choose us? and what are your interests (academically related / possible research field).

troopiedoop

Post by troopiedoop » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Heads up: I just got the AMSC request for further information...

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm

aherring wrote:
Gasquet wrote:Hey there. Another one from last year. Having better luck this time around?
Sure wish I was...rejection from Madison and a "refusal" from McGill. I was really hoping CUNY would work out but it seems others have been admitted today and I have not. How has it gone for you this second time?
Not much better. 2 accepts. One unfunded. One waitlisted for funding(some people have received funding from there). But, I have a decent backup. Good European University, good stipend(drawback: language problem).

All the best to you!

I was asked a few details about the courses that I done(may have been due to being a non American university). Then asked a question each of Analysis(uniform convergence), Linear Algebra(solution to overdetermined systems), Numerical Analysis(convergence of spectral methods). Then the usual, do you have any questions.
troopiedoop wrote:Heads up: I just got the AMSC request for further information...
Always found this one funny. Didn't apply there, but I'd be interested in knowing what the questions are. They were different the last two years. Do you mind sharing it?

poorasian

Post by poorasian » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:33 pm

soooo.... I got into both my reaches, which means I didn't really reach far enough.

troopiedoop

Post by troopiedoop » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:36 pm

poorasian wrote:soooo.... I got into both my reaches, which means I didn't really reach far enough.
That depends; If you get into a top 5 school with a $30k+ stipend, can you reach further ?

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:51 pm

troopiedoop wrote:Heads up: I just got the AMSC request for further information...
Hey sorry to bug ya but I applied there too. Were the questions mass emailed or did a prof personally email? What research area are you specifically applying for?

troopiedoop

Post by troopiedoop » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:03 pm

dasgut wrote:
Hey sorry to bug ya but I applied there too. Were the questions mass emailed or did a prof personally email? What research area are you specifically applying for?
It seemed mass-emailed; it was from a departmental secretary or something like that. I was applying for the Applied Math track, but my interests also align heavily with scientific computing.

Overclocked

Post by Overclocked » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:08 pm

I still haven't gotten a reply from UMD-ASMC :/

cti112

Post by cti112 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Overclocked wrote:

I never did an interview like that, but what I would assume some of the questions that would be asked are: Why did you choose us? and what are your interests (academically related / possible research field).
personally i've had one interview (and got accepted afterwards) so here's my experience.
i wrote the research i've done in my resume so the professor asked me about it, so i explained very briefly. then they asked me about my research interest even tho i have already mentioned it in my statement of purpose. since the school that interviewed me isn't the top famous schools so they asked me how i know them. then they start talking about their departments research, followed by some small talks. the whole interview was pretty short but pleasant.

however if you're international student, i know some schools want to know whether you speak english well enough cos they usually assign TA duties and they want you to be able to convey your ideas in english. i imagine the toefl score doesn't reflect well in this aspect. I also heard in rare cases that certain schools like to ask students to actually solve math problems during an interview, like those high school math competition types, although i can't be sure of this point.

poorasian

Post by poorasian » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:04 pm

So is UC Irvine's fee fellowship just a tuition waiver?

veektorreeyah

Post by veektorreeyah » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:30 pm

UC Irvine admits... Hope one comes my way!

yl2868

Post by yl2868 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:49 pm

poorasian wrote:soooo.... I got into both my reaches, which means I didn't really reach far enough.
The results say you should probably aim higher :D

Which one do you prefer? Arizona or UC Irvine?

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:38 am

Troopiedoop, are you the one that posted on GC? Just trying to figure out if I should give up hope for AMSC. Congrats on the big interview :D

troopiedoop

Post by troopiedoop » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:35 pm

dasgut wrote:
Troopiedoop, are you the one that posted on GC? Just trying to figure out if I should give up hope for AMSC. Congrats on the big interview :D
I never post on GC.

I'm declining AMSC for ESAM Northwestern or Caltech. Good luck !

poorasian

Post by poorasian » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:27 pm

yl2868 wrote:
The results say you should probably aim higher :D

Which one do you prefer? Arizona or UC Irvine?
I honestly have no idea but I hope I get a fellowship at one of them.

EDIT: Honestly, I didn't have any idea this would happen. My GPA isn't even a 3.5 and I have lots of C's. My GRE was crappy because I didn't do any due diligence studying for it. I don't have any publications or even research in pure mathematics. I didn't really know my recommenders (besides my research mentor, who's a postdoc) besides a few visits to office hours.
Last edited by poorasian on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Alright folks. I'm off. Unless something unexpected happens, I won't be checking this site after this weekend. It's been a rough two tries. There are several possible reasons for my striking out, but that doesn't matter anymore. It's goodbye to the US dreams. Best to accept it and move on. Didn't do my Bachelor's degree where I wanted to, things still worked out fine. Didn't do my Master's degree where I wanted to either and things worked out great. Hopefully a similar situation happens a third time. I'll still be starting my PhD in a few months time, and that's the most important thing. (No course work, no TA duties would mean that I would probably finish it earlier than most of you :wink: ). Time to get down to it and show the US schools what they turned down.

Will update the profile once all the rejections are up. You can always contact me by PM(email notification is on).

My thanks to everyone on this forum. Especially the regulars. Both this year and last. This place has been great. Hope that all of you get to follow your passion for math. All the best.

redcar777

Post by redcar777 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Gasquet wrote:Alright folks. I'm off. Unless something unexpected happens, I won't be checking this site after this weekend. It's been a rough two tries. There are several possible reasons for my striking out, but that doesn't matter anymore. It's goodbye to the US dreams. Best to accept it and move on. Didn't do my Bachelor's degree where I wanted to, things still worked out fine. Didn't do my Master's degree where I wanted to either and things worked out great. Hopefully a similar situation happens a third time. I'll still be starting my PhD in a few months time, and that's the most important thing. (No course work, no TA duties would mean that I would probably finish it earlier than most of you :wink: ). Time to get down to it and show the US schools what they turned down.

Will update the profile once all the rejections are up. You can always contact me by PM(email notification is on).

My thanks to everyone on this forum. Especially the regulars. Both this year and last. This place has been great. Hope that all of you get to follow your passion for math. All the best.
Good luck Gasquet! I feel like we struggled through this together. May you have future citation index be high!

ihatepencils

Post by ihatepencils » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:44 pm

how many more schools are people still waiting to hear back from? I still have 9: of which 4 have given me waitlist status and 5 I've heard nothing from!

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:51 pm

ihatepencils wrote:how many more schools are people still waiting to hear back from? I still have 9: of which 4 have given me waitlist status and 5 I've heard nothing from!
Accepted at 1 (Stat MA). Rejected at 2. Interviewing with a school tomorrow. Zilch from the other 7.

aherring

Post by aherring » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:58 pm

Rejected from 3, have heard absolutely nothing from 6. WHEN ARE THEY PLANNING ON TELLING US!?!?! The waiting is killing me. It's becoming more and more difficult to not punch the person that asks me (EVERY DAY!) "so have you heard back yet from any of your schools?"
Sorry, rant over.
Out of curiosity, have any of those admitted to CUNY GC received financial information?

Pink Floyd

Post by Pink Floyd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Effectively, rejected from 5 programs, wait-listed for 2 and still 6 to go. I wish this season at least ends up with just one fully funded admission. I am fed up with refreshing their websites.

the_sheath

Post by the_sheath » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:48 pm

1 a / 3 r / 0 w, 1 waiting to hear from.

By the way, first wave Cornell Applied Math (CAM) rejections are comin' out!

BRACE YOURSELVES. I don't have to, of course, because I got rejected like 20 minutes ago.

scotto3394

Post by scotto3394 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:40 pm

^ me too

4 accepted, 5 rejected, waiting on 1 more. I was actually pleasantly surprised how fast most of my programs were with getting back to me.

Overclocked

Post by Overclocked » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Anybody hear from Columbia (applied math) yet?

avemarya

Post by avemarya » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:01 pm

3 acceptances, heard nothing by the other 5... honestly, I'm pretty cool with my options, so if by mid March I hear from nowhere else I'll just make my decision then.

seven

Post by seven » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Applied to 13 waitlist at 1, encouraging email from another, and NOTHING from the other 11. Some of them are for masters programs, so i'm hoping that they just accept masters students later. I'd really like some good news now. :(

cti112

Post by cti112 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:49 pm

avemarya wrote:3 acceptances, heard nothing by the other 5... honestly, I'm pretty cool with my options, so if by mid March I hear from nowhere else I'll just make my decision then.
same here, i don't want to accept too late, it's just not fair for other schools and other people on the waitlist

veektorreeyah

Post by veektorreeyah » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:18 pm

ihatepencils wrote:how many more schools are people still waiting to hear back from? I still have 9: of which 4 have given me waitlist status and 5 I've heard nothing from!
Still have 6 out of 10 to hear from. I'll probably start emailing the programs to see if I am waitlisted or don't have a chance

huydang

Post by huydang » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Guys, I applied to 10 schools and have not heard anything from all of them. Should I start to freak out ?

Overclocked

Post by Overclocked » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:41 am

huydang wrote:Guys, I applied to 10 schools and have not heard anything from all of them. Should I start to freak out ?
Schools typically finish handing out all admissions somewhere near mid March. If by end of March you don't get a reply, THEN start freaking out.

the_sheath

Post by the_sheath » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 am

huydang wrote:Guys, I applied to 10 schools and have not heard anything from all of them. Should I start to freak out ?
Has GC indicated they sent out first wave offers this year for all 10 places? And are they known for sending out distinctly defined first wave offers (i.e. does GC suggest that they send out their first wave offers of acceptance on the same day or cluster of days)?

Apparently this isn't a reason to freak out, but I'd worry a bit if it's been weeks since they sent out their first acceptances. Otherwise (and especially if offers have not started coming out) you're probably fine.

ihatepencils

Post by ihatepencils » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 am

It is very possible that you are on waitlists if you still haven't heard back. If I didn't email any of the programs I wouldn't have known that I'm on four waitlists! Unfortunately I won't be hearing back from those until late march/early april apparently.

aherring

Post by aherring » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:38 pm

How much longer until you all begin to write to inquire as to your status from the programs you have not heard from? It's getting more and more tempting each day...

ihatepencils

Post by ihatepencils » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:25 pm

If you know the schools have already sent out plenty acceptances, I don't see the problem with just asking now. Phrase it nicely and I don't think anyone will care. Schools understand that it sucks to wait.

Overclocked

Post by Overclocked » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 am

If anyone here is accepted into stonybrook, and know you will not attend, please decline :oops:

ihatepencils

Post by ihatepencils » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:37 am

Overclocked wrote:If anyone here is accepted into stonybrook, and know you will not attend, please decline :oops:
Did you find out that you are on a waitlist or something for Stony Brook?

Overclocked

Post by Overclocked » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:47 am

No, I haven't. Although if people decline early, chances ill be accepted are higher XD

caxton

Post by caxton » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:53 pm

Please does anyone know anyone that's heard from UT Austin's CSEM or Ohio State Uni's Math Masters? Or maybe both programs are really taking their time this year. :?

whatever

Post by whatever » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:31 am

Stony Brook just asked me for evidence of a Visa to have on file in case they make an offer...

...I was born in New Jersey.

I love paperwork.

yl2868

Post by yl2868 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 am

whatever wrote:Stony Brook just asked me for evidence of a Visa to have on file in case they make an offer...

...I was born in New Jersey.

I love paperwork.
I got that email too (I'm an international guy). Don't know if this is a good sign. Since SBU applied math has a notorious history of giving PHD admissions without funding, I don't have a high expectation on this.

Atmosck

Post by Atmosck » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 pm

Has anyone heard from Notre Dame? It's been two months since their deadline but I haven't seen anything on gradcafe.