Graduate School for Mathematics

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Excoriate

Graduate School for Mathematics

Post by Excoriate » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi,

I am considering taking the GRE Mathematics subject test by doing my own preparation but I dont own a degree in mathematics. My plan is to possibly apply to graduate school in this area but I am not sure how realistic I am being(I have degrees in Computer Science and Bioinformatics). I am wondering if it may be at all possible to get into either the Statistics area of Applied math areas with this sort of background. It would be easier to do computer science obviously but I would like to expand the range of things I can do. If I do this sort of prep what are good textbooks to use?

Thanks in advance,

Excor.

diogenes

Re: Graduate School for Mathematics

Post by diogenes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:58 am

I think ease of success would depend on how much beyond calculus you went during your undergrad.
Furthermore, I would think that deparments with interest in computational algebraic geometry and the like would be a natural fit for you, assuming that you find that interesting.

As for books, well do a bit a searching, but "cracking" is still the king.

ajf

Post by ajf » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:57 am

You can check the Open Courseware site at MIT (http://ocw.mit.edu) and look at the undergraduate mathematics curriculum. There you will find the all the courses and text books that are used.

Excoriate

Post by Excoriate » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks. I assume for phd work I would be better served by trying to grab a one year masters degree or is it possible to jump straight into reasonably good phd program with just a good GRE subject test score?

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Excoriate wrote:Thanks. I assume for phd work I would be better served by trying to grab a one year masters degree or is it possible to jump straight into reasonably good phd program with just a good GRE subject test score?
I would think so (but I am some pseudo-random poster on an internet forum), but take a look at what some of the programs you are interested in study the first year and ask your adviser what he/she thinks.

goingunder

Post by goingunder » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Hey,

I have a similar "condition" as yours. I did a CS major (graduated this june), but by the end of my junior year, I had fell in love with some areas in pure math - so I decided to pursue a PhD in this. Over the four years I took courses in calculus, mulitvariate calculus, algerba, real and complex analysis, number theory, "fuzzy logic", set theory and computability (my college allowed alot of courses in the "others" category). I am appearing for the subject test coming saturday, and in the mean while, pursuing some research work with this prof at my college, although a research paper seems lightyears away.

I asked around, and it turns out that a masters degree has its pros and cons. For one, you still might have to take courses once in the PhD program, so you typically waste a year or two. Secondly, I cant guarantee whether i'll get be able to keep a great gpa in the masters, so I might end up in an average program for a PhD. Thirdly, PhD acceptance committees expect more research work from masters students than from undergrad, so you will have to produce some great papers in those couple of years. Finally, masters is usually not funded.

However, if you keep a good gpa and do great research work in your masters, you'll end up in decent PhD program.

This is what i learnt. Anybody like to comment on this?

Best,

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:43 pm

goingunder wrote:
This is what i learnt. Anybody like to comment on this?

If you have to pay to go, then stay away.

Excoriate

Post by Excoriate » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:41 pm

For me I own a part time masters in Comp BIo and I have not done that much mathematics course work wise. Hence I was considering perhaps I would need to do some coursework in mathematics perhaps to show the admissions people that I can do proofs as well as handle the calculation type stuff required for the GRE math subject test. It is a bit of a risk since obviously the GPA can take a hit. I do like top university environments though I dont fancy my chances of getting back into a school of that calibre even though I was in one at one point for undergrad.