Getting into a math Phd,career advice please

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
marellasunny

Getting into a math Phd,career advice please

Post by marellasunny » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:18 am

Hi,some tips needed.
I quit my masters in automotive engineering from a very reputed university in Germany.I had finished all my course-work in 2 years,had 1 year of thesis and internship left.But,I couldn't take the emperical dominated engineering stuff.So,I decided to pursue my long-lost dream of taking-up mathematics,although I took a lot of applied math electives during engineering.The main reason for mechanical engineering was because of family tradition.I still love mech.engineering but I love math more.So,right now I am giving the integrated phd. entrance exams for applied and pure math programs in India.Unfortunately,I failed in the first attempt.
Would you advice me to continue down this path?I am now 24 and most proff. I meet suggest I first gain work-experience and secure my future.This is what is bothering me a lot.
Q. If I score well in the GRE subject test,would it help boost my phd application for a university abroad?

My main interests in mathematics are:

Abstract algebra,multivariable calculus,topology,financial calculus,complex analysis and I love fractals and non-linearity models.

As a hobby,I design and analyse physical models using FEM and other tools.

Thank you.Your advice is greatly appreciated.

gromov

Re: Getting into a math Phd,career advice please

Post by gromov » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Given you had background in a different field, you should carefully consider what sorts of mathematics you would like to pursue, and work towards mastering the fundamentals for that at the least. A good subject GRE score seems almost required for internationals applying to most strong US schools, so it may not be a huge boost. In places like Canada, you likely may not even need a score to apply.

If you pursued an applied mathematics PhD, you could use your past background as an advantage.

My advice is to figure out why you failed the attempt and be open to spending some time securing good background for your interests. But I confess to knowing little of PhD admissions in India.

marellasunny

Re: Getting into a math Phd,career advice please

Post by marellasunny » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 pm

gromov wrote:Given you had background in a different field, you should carefully consider what sorts of mathematics you would like to pursue, and work towards mastering the fundamentals for that at the least. A good subject GRE score seems almost required for internationals applying to most strong US schools, so it may not be a huge boost. In places like Canada, you likely may not even need a score to apply.

If you pursued an applied mathematics PhD, you could use your past background as an advantage.

My advice is to figure out why you failed the attempt and be open to spending some time securing good background for your interests. But I confess to knowing little of PhD admissions in India.
Thanks gromov.
Feedback on entrance exam results:
I did miserably in abstract algebra-went horribly wrong in word problems involving rings and isomorphisms and vector spaces.I amazingly fared badly in multivariable calculus.The positives are that I scored high in linear algebra and topology.I was trying to pass an exam which required 1 year prep work,I had 4 months.

Sorry for not making it clear,I did my bachelors and masters courses in automotive engineering.I dont have a phd in applied math...yet.But,as you say,if I use my past background as leverage,it looks like applied math seems more connected to my field.But,the problem is I like pure math subjects equally.This is where I am at a dilemma,to take-up a masters course in pure math or applied math??One professor suggested I take-up a integrated phd program since I'm already 24.In the meanwhile,I will keep working on my basics as you advised.Thanks again.