Statistics or Biostatitics PhD

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
anugunturi

Statistics or Biostatitics PhD

Post by anugunturi » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm

I am planning to apply for a PhD for Fall 2013 and below is my profile

- I hold a MS degree in statistics
- I have 5 years experience working as a bio-statistician at a cancer center
- will take GRE in October 2012.

I am planning to apply for UC- Berkeley and UC-Davis...and may be Stanford too ( I doubt I would get an admission in Stanford or Berkeley for that matter). I don't know if I should apply for statistics or Bio-statistics...my reasearch experience is in Bio-statistics and statistical genetics . Any comments on the choice of schools..and if I stand a chance at these schools

Any comments will be greatly appreciated..

mathdude8119

Re: Statistics or Biostatitics PhD

Post by mathdude8119 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Well, I don't think Stanford has a biostatistics department. I'd consider UW and Harvard too (if you're applying to the top); each has both programs and are ranked highly in each.

I think with a Stats PhD you can probably go into Biostats, but I don't think you can go into more economic/financial statistics with a Biostats PhD. Something to keep in mind...

anugunturi

Post by anugunturi » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Thank you for the reply..I am kind of stuck in the San Francisco area and we have Berkeley, Stanford and Davis. Stanford and Berkeley are rated 1 and 2 for Statistics and I doubt I will get an admission there...I will also apply to the Biostatistics group in Berkeley and Davis..as there is too much competition for the statistics dept.

gtg387y

Post by gtg387y » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:29 pm

If you're limiting yourself to Bay Area major universities, be prepared for the very real possibility that you won't get accepted to any of them.