Did anyone apply for the NDSEG?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dasgut

Did anyone apply for the NDSEG?

Post by dasgut » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:28 am

So I was looking through the profiles and I don't think I saw anyone but myself who applied for the NDSEG. Why do so few ppl apply for it? Is it unusually hard to get? An obscure fellowship?

quinquenion

Re: Did anyone apply for the NDSEG?

Post by quinquenion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 am

My guess is a combination of the following:
  • Not everyone who is applying has it listed on their profiles. I'm applying to both the NDSEG and the Hertz fellowships, but consider them to be qualitatively different from applied math grad school applications and thus didn't list either in my profile (same reason I don't list several of the PhD programs in adjacent fields I've applied to).
  • NDSEG gives the impression of being slightly more applied (in the broad sense) than NSF, seeing as it's sponsored by the DoD and the website suggests applicants consult the "Broad Agency Announcements of the Army Research Office, the Office of Naval Research, and the Air Force Office of Scientific Research".
  • There are fewer NDSEG fellows. In math, there're only ~15 NDSEG fellowships awarded per year vs ~85 per year for NSF. This also means that more people have heard about the NSF, simply because it's a bigger program.

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:30 am

quinquenion,
Thanks for the post! Makes a lot of sense.

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:07 am

Sorry to revive this thread guys, but I'm getting worried as it looks like I'm headed for a shut out since all my schools seem to have made their acceptance offers and I'm getting rejected all over the place. I applied for the NDSEG. One thing that's not discussed deeply on my profile post is my research. I did two summers at one of, if not the, largest naval research bases via one of ASEE's main internship programs. In my statement for the fellowship, I spoke extensively about a research question that I started considering while doing research there and that was inspired by my work there. Do I have any chance of winning this thing? Will my experience help me?