Why top schools give out decision so much earlier?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
kiurys

Why top schools give out decision so much earlier?

Post by kiurys » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:08 pm

I been scouting the gradcafe and there are now a lot of decisions out by what I consider the top schools (MIT, UPENN, Berkeley, etc).

From my list of 15 non-top schools there has been no decision posted on gradcafe.

I wonder what makes the top schools give out decisions so much earlier?

Just wondering.

mhancock743

Re: Why top schools give out decision so much earlier?

Post by mhancock743 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:12 pm

If I were to guess, I'd say it's a combination of having earlier deadlines (on average) and a larger staff to organize and review applications (I'm just assuming this since prestigious school = prestigious funding).

I might also suppose that since top schools are so selective, it makes the initial selections easier? For example, (hypothetical) applicant finishes high school at age 12, bachelor's at 16, maintaining a 4.0 throughout, has had 12 published articles, 99% MGRE, etc... I'm exaggerating obviously, but you get the point I'm trying to make I'm sure.

goombayao

Re: Why top schools give out decision so much earlier?

Post by goombayao » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:01 pm

I think they make decisions early to aggressively recruit the top students. Once one top school starts sending out admits early, they have the advantage over other top schools, forcing the other schools to try to move up their decision date.