Do PhD programs discriminate against people with masters?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
yoyobarn

Do PhD programs discriminate against people with masters?

Post by yoyobarn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:46 am

Hi,

After some consideration, I intend to do my masters in my home country first.

However, I would need to know if PhD programs in the US discriminate against students with masters degree?

I read some comments on other forums that masters is considered a "terminal degree", and such..

I can understand if applicants with master's degree have no advantage over the other applicants, but to be at a disadvantage would be counterintuitive and puzzling to me..

Thanks a lot.

owlpride

Re: Do PhD programs discriminate against people with masters?

Post by owlpride » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:25 am

Foreign students often finish a Master's degree in their home country before they come to the US for a PhD. That's nothing out of the ordinary.

yoyobarn

Post by yoyobarn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:54 am

Thanks a lot.

ANDS

Post by ANDS » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:24 pm

I'd imagine your chances for acceptance increase since they don't have to fund you for as long as they would have to fund a domestic student coming out of college.

mstrfrdmx

Post by mstrfrdmx » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:35 am

ANDS wrote:I'd imagine your chances for acceptance increase since they don't have to fund you for as long as they would have to fund a domestic student coming out of college.
I don't think that's necessarily true; many graduate programs award master's degrees after the completion of compulsory qualifiers. Nevertheless, it seems plausible that former master's students tend to exhibit more discipline than recent college graduates.