Writing Samples. Graduate Applications!

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
path

Writing Samples. Graduate Applications!

Post by path » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi,

Would you still recommend uploading a 'Writting Sample' in the application, although the department does not require one?

Some applications have this option, however from what I've seen math department do not require such a writing sample. However, as I asked above, if you have a written research paper, would it be better to upload it, or not?

Thanks.

castlevania87

Re: Writing Samples. Graduate Applications!

Post by castlevania87 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:08 am

I encountered this at schools using the embark system. The platform is general so the arts/literature people are allowed to upload writing sample. It's part of their requirement. For math, some schools say it's not required to submit writing samples.

If you indeed have your paper work, you may want to submit it.

path

Re: Writing Samples. Graduate Applications!

Post by path » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:42 pm

castlevania87 wrote:I encountered this at schools using the embark system. The platform is general so the arts/literature people are allowed to upload writing sample. It's part of their requirement. For math, some schools say it's not required to submit writing samples.

If you indeed have your paper work, you may want to submit it.
Yes, I encountered this at schools using the embark system as well.

I ask this only because, if i remember correctly, I think I read somewhere at some point not to submit extra material, unless it is required by the school. I don't see how doing so could hurt someones application, but what do I know.

I might submit anyways.