Retake General GRE

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
jennyb

Retake General GRE

Post by jennyb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Hey guys,

So I really messed up the GRE, score of 710 on the quantitative - it's an embarrassment for a mathematician :oops: I was so anxious and didn't get to finish.
Do you think it matters? I could retake it, but frankly I'm busy enough with applications as is and I question how much having a higher score the second time will help.

Thanks for your input and sorry if this sort of thing has been asked many times before.

mhancock743

Re: Retake General GRE

Post by mhancock743 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:04 am

you should take it again if it's possible.

jennyb

Post by jennyb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for the response.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

owlpride

Post by owlpride » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:59 pm

I would ask the advice of someone who has actually read graduate applications before, e.g. your own professors or maybe the graduate chairs of a few other math departments.

dragoonlp

Post by dragoonlp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:39 pm

jennyb wrote:Hey guys,

So I really messed up the GRE, score of 710 on the quantitative - it's an embarrassment for a mathematician :oops: I was so anxious and didn't get to finish.
Do you think it matters? I could retake it, but frankly I'm busy enough with applications as is and I question how much having a higher score the second time will help.

Thanks for your input and sorry if this sort of thing has been asked many times before.
How about your subject score? If it is high, like >80%, then u don't have to retake it at all.

jennyb

Post by jennyb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:14 pm

It's in the low-70s (Standardized tests are not my forte)

I think I'll retake it - I'll always regret it if I don't and wonder if things would have gone differently had I gotten a higher score.

arsenalmath

Post by arsenalmath » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 pm

jennyb wrote:It's in the low-70s (Standardized tests are not my forte)

I think I'll retake it - I'll always regret it if I don't and wonder if things would have gone differently had I gotten a higher score.
I'd guess that you wouldn't get rejected anywhere just because of that. With a score around 70% on the subject GRE, it's obvious that you know what you're doing with math. So the regular gre math score shouldn't hurt too much. Just my opinion though. If you are willing to go ahead and take it again though, go for it. It's not going to get worse!