Mathematics GRE




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:22 pm 
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm

View Posts (11)


Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm
Posts: 11
I'm a math major, and I did not do so well on the Math subject GRE. I'm applying to stats programs so it isn't a total wash, but it might be good to know, if anyone has some insight, which schools stand out as not emphasizing the GRE subject test and which do. I know that Stanford seems to (boasting an average 83%ile on the subject test), but are there other places I should avoid? Do most stats programs view the Math subject test as a nice bonus, but generally tangential to a solid application?

If it helps, my main interest is in nonparametric and semi-parametric Bayesian data analysis and statistical learning. I'm also interested in non-parametric modelling of point processes and applications of this to computational neuroscience.

Here is a list of schools I'm interested in for statistics:

Ohio State
CMU Statistics/machine learning (where I really want to go, but likely have no chance- will apply either way)
U Michigan Ann arbor
Cornell
UC Davis
UCLA
Texas A&M
Penn State
NC State


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:26 pm 
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

View Posts (247)


Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am
Posts: 247
Chicago, Columbia, and Harvard definitely like the subject exam and I think Yale cares about it too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:50 pm 
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm

View Posts (11)


Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm
Posts: 11
dasgut wrote:
Chicago, Columbia, and Harvard definitely like the subject exam and I think Yale cares about it too.


Ok, good to know about Yale. I was on the fence about applying to them already, so since I have a lot of programs I think I'll avoid the cost of applying.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:02 pm 
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

View Posts (247)


Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am
Posts: 247
Ha! Now I feel bad about decreasing the amount of competition, lol.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:52 pm 
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm

View Posts (11)


Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm
Posts: 11
dasgut wrote:
Ha! Now I feel bad about decreasing the amount of competition, lol.


Eh, I don't think we had a lot of overlap in programs anyway. :)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:52 pm 
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

View Posts (247)


Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am
Posts: 247
We share Michigan tangentially! I'm applying to AIM there and I'll specialize in probability. If you don't go to CMU what's your next choice?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:52 am 
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:08 pm

View Posts (2)


Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:08 pm
Posts: 2
On that note, how high should your math gre subject score be to justify sending it to schools that don't require it (but still have it recommended)?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:03 pm 
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

View Posts (247)


Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am
Posts: 247
A friend of mine, who has the same score I do, asked Harvard if his score met their "extremely well" standard. They said it did. FWIW it's 840 (89%).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:23 pm 
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:41 pm

View Posts (47)


Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:41 pm
Posts: 47
Zetetic wrote:
I'm a math major, and I did not do so well on the Math subject GRE. I'm applying to stats programs so it isn't a total wash, but it might be good to know, if anyone has some insight, which schools stand out as not emphasizing the GRE subject test and which do. I know that Stanford seems to (boasting an average 83%ile on the subject test), but are there other places I should avoid? Do most stats programs view the Math subject test as a nice bonus, but generally tangential to a solid application?

If it helps, my main interest is in nonparametric and semi-parametric Bayesian data analysis and statistical learning. I'm also interested in non-parametric modelling of point processes and applications of this to computational neuroscience.

Here is a list of schools I'm interested in for statistics:

Ohio State
CMU Statistics/machine learning (where I really want to go, but likely have no chance- will apply either way)
U Michigan Ann arbor
Cornell
UC Davis
UCLA
Texas A&M
Penn State
NC State


The MAJORITY of schools do not care about the Math GRE; the calculus is obviously crucial, but about the only non-calculus parts of the other half they'd be interested in are the analysis and prob. questions - which there aren't many of. So it's unsurprising that many schools don't particularly care that you know your Algebra or basic Topology. All the schools you listed do not have a requirement for the Subject GRE. I'd ask each of the Grad advisers what they would consider a score worth including.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:36 pm 
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm

View Posts (11)


Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm
Posts: 11
ANDS wrote:
The MAJORITY of schools do not care about the Math GRE; the calculus is obviously crucial, but about the only non-calculus parts of the other half they'd be interested in are the analysis and prob. questions - which there aren't many of. So it's unsurprising that many schools don't particularly care that you know your Algebra or basic Topology. All the schools you listed do not have a requirement for the Subject GRE. I'd ask each of the Grad advisers what they would consider a score worth including.


Thanks, that sounds like a solid approach.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Statistics Dept. that care the least about Subject GRE?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:37 pm 
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm

View Posts (11)


Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm
Posts: 11
dasgut wrote:
We share Michigan tangentially! I'm applying to AIM there and I'll specialize in probability. If you don't go to CMU what's your next choice?

Michigan has a pretty great looking program, but I'm honestly not sure. I'm torn between a few places atm, assuming I get into one of them.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 



Search for:

cron
Contact Us | © 2005-2014 MathematicsGRE.com