Am I done for?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
asdf

Am I done for?

Post by asdf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:57 pm

I took the October 15th subject GRE, and scored an embarrassingly low 620 (43%) on it. My application is otherwise quite good (honors student graduating summa cum laude from well-known state university, teaching experience, good general GRE scores, several graduate-level math courses, an REU with publication in progress, 3 great letters of recommendation), but I'm terribly worried that my score on the subject exam will bar me from the schools I'd like to get into. There isn't any possibility of retaking it, either.

What sort of school should I aim for? Do I have any chance at getting into a top 20 school now?

owlpride

Re: Am I done for?

Post by owlpride » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Your subject GRE will probably keep you out of the tippy top programs but the top 20 are certainly not off the table yet. I have a couple of friends whose profiles read very much like yours. They are now at the University of Michigan, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Duke, the University of Maryland and Tufts. Though I should add that the Michigan student was only offered admission after she got an NSF fellowship.

goombayao

Post by goombayao » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:41 am

Would there be any benefit in not reporting a score like that to programs that recommend, but do not require, the subject GRE?

(There must be some point where not reporting would be better than reporting, right?)

lemonjuice

Post by lemonjuice » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:11 am

goombayao wrote:Would there be any benefit in not reporting a score like that to programs that recommend, but do not require, the subject GRE?

(There must be some point where not reporting would be better than reporting, right?)
ditto