f(x,y) = lxl^k*lyl^k/(x^2+y^2) is convergent, find min k

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
cathy_liping

f(x,y) = lxl^k*lyl^k/(x^2+y^2) is convergent, find min k

Postby cathy_liping » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:26 am

how to find the mininum of k to make f(x,y) = lxl^k*lyl^k/(x^2+y^2) convergent?

in practice book, there is a question which is similar but simple than this one, like xy/(x^2+y^2) is convergent or not, i know this is not convergent, as when keep y constant, if y=x, lim(x->0)=1/2, while if y=0, lim(x->0)=0, so it is not convergent.

what about this one? tks in advance!

owlpride

Re: f(x,y) = lxl^k*lyl^k/(x^2+y^2) is convergent, find min k

Postby owlpride » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:18 am

You mean continuous?

Any k > 1 will do. If you consider the straight line y = ax through the origin, then the limit of f(x,ax) as x ->0 along this line is 0 as long as 2k > 2.

cathy_liping

Postby cathy_liping » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:50 am

owlpride wrote:You mean continuous?

Any k > 1 will do. If you consider the straight line y = ax through the origin, then the limit of f(x,ax) as x ->0 along this line is 0 as long as 2k > 2.

thank you owlpride for your reply :D and sorry for my wrong info... yes i mean continuous... but when k=2/3 will make f(x,y) continuous, which is <1... am i right?

blitzer6266

Postby blitzer6266 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:59 am

Nope. k=2/3 will make the limit at 0 not exist: If you go along y=x, the limit will be infinity, where as if you go along y=0, the limit will be zero (since the function is identically 0 along the x and y axis).

cathy_liping

Postby cathy_liping » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:01 am

blitzer6266 wrote:Nope. k=2/3 will make the limit at 0 not exist: If you go along y=x, the limit will be infinity, where as if you go along y=0, the limit will be zero (since the function is identically 0 along the x and y axis).

oh... ok, I see, my mistake :oops: tks for pointing out!

DDswife

Postby DDswife » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:54 pm

I have a question.

For k = 1, lim |x|*|y| / (x^2+y^2) = 0 for both x and y approaching 0
For x=y, the limit is 1/2.

So the limit doens't exist. I get that.

Now, if we use polar coordinates, we get:

lim (r cos a)^k (r sin a)^k / r^2, as both, r and a go to 0

lim r^2k [sin (2a) / 2]^k / r^2 = lim r^(2k-2) [sin (2a) / 2]^k

2k - 2 = 0, the limit is 0 since lim sin (2a) / 2 = 0 as r, a both approach 0

2k - 2 > 0, then both approach 0

So I get that f continuous if k >= 1

Can someone explain to me where the problem is? Thanks

Austin

Postby Austin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:58 am

DDswife: I could be wrong, but I believe your error is sending both r and a to 0. If you just send r to 0, you should get the limit at (0,0). By also sending a to 0, I think you're evaluating the limit by approaching (0,0) along the line y=0.

So, for k > 1, lim [r^(2k-2) sin(2a)/2 , r->0] = 0. For k=1, lim [r^(2k-2) sin(2a)/2 , r->0] = lim[sin(2a)/2, r->0] = sin(2a)/2.

Note that this agrees with your y=x example, because in that case a=pi/2, so sin(2a)/2=1/2.

Hope this helps!

DDswife

Postby DDswife » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:10 am

That might be the problem. Funny, when I took Multivariable Calculus, I watched some videos and learnt this trick and, if I am not confused, this is the way it was done. But I will recheck on that.

Thanks for your reply. BTW, I think that you meant a = pi/4, then 2a would be pi/2. But I got your point.

Good to know I am not by myself! This forum seemed to be abandonned lately. Are you planning to takie the MGRE at some point?

DDswife

Postby DDswife » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:25 am

You were right. I just found this link and they say that r approaches 0 and the rest needs to be independent of the angle. Good that I corrected one of my mistakes! Thanks again.

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~skalyanswamy/ ... -polar.pdf

Austin

Postby Austin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Great! Glad I could help. Yeah, it should have said a=pi/4...I also left off an exponent inside the limit.

Yeah, the forum does seem pretty dead, but that could have to do with the time of year. I applied to grad schools a couple of years ago and the peak time for this forum was the October-April stretch when the admission process is in full swing.

I am hoping to make another run at grad school this year; if I do, I'll take the MGRE in October. Are you also aiming for Fall 2015?

DDswife

Postby DDswife » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:28 pm

I am far away yet. Taking Linear Algebra next semester in college and, if the University finally accepts me (I am not from the US and they keep requesting stuff I don't even think I will be able to submit! But who know...), I will be taking Abstract Algebra. Watching some Topology videos on these days.

I am a Math teacher but my Abstract Algebra class was completely different from the classes here. So different, that I don't even understand the questions from the GRE! I didn't know what a symmetric group was till I googled for that. I didn't know what Z/Z2 was. I used the notation Z/R, were R is a relation, or Z_2, [0], etc. Now I see that these things are sort of the same. I didn't know what a coset was, either. My class and the ones I see you take here are as similar as a hand and a foot!

My Topology class wa lousy (half a year without a teacher to begin with!), and it was only about Metric Spaces. I didn't even know what a topology was!

And I need to take Complex Analysis. Never took this one.

But I am already preparing the GRe to take it at some point (whenever I think that I am finally ready!). And I will be around this forum.

DDswife

Postby DDswife » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:35 pm

I have posted several messages lately with solutions to the exercises. If you find mistakes, or if you have better ways to solve them, let me know.

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”