short list

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
raulastur

short list

Post by raulastur » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi a received a mail from an university telling me that I'm in their short list, and asking me if I'm still interested in the university and which other universities I have offers from. Is this customary or I have strongs possibilities to get accepted? thanks

bobzilla21

Re: short list

Post by bobzilla21 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:54 pm

raulastur wrote:Hi a received a mail from an university telling me that I'm in their short list, and asking me if I'm still interested in the university and which other universities I have offers from. Is this customary or I have strongs possibilities to get accepted? thanks
Haven't come across that one before... what's the program/school? They could just be checking to see whether you're still planning to attend. It's fairly common for institutions to want to decrease their acceptance averages (to raise their overall rankings), and one strategy would be to simply reject everybody who doesn't actually plan on attending. If you tell them you really want to come and don't have any serious offers yet, you might just hear back that you're in.

smartiful

Post by smartiful » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:28 am

It's weird that ask you to name the unis where you've been accepted. The "short list" simply means that they anticipate making you an offer, but don't want to waste time on somebody who won't go there anyways.

johnrichard

Post by johnrichard » Sat May 14, 2011 7:01 am

Yes..thats the message actually intends to pass.