Retake the test?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mathfun

Retake the test?

Post by mathfun » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Is there anyone who have taken the test twice? You got a better score the second time?
I'm thinking of retaking the test...Give me advice!

mdornbos

Re: Retake the test?

Post by mdornbos » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:47 pm

I took the test in October and was really stressed and busy with other things so I didn't focus on the test. I did terrible, so I retook the November test as a standby and obviously don't know my score yet but can honestly say I did MUCH better. Not only did I answer 14 more questions this time around, but I was confident on way more, and guessed less than in October.

That being said I highly recommend retaking the test. This test is very difficult and I feel it's natural to improve your score just by having the experience of doing it before and knowing what to expect time and material wise. I don't think it would be beneficial to spend the money if you're looking to improve by like 30 points.

Chapel

Re: Retake the test?

Post by Chapel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:13 am

mdornbos wrote:I took the test in October and was really stressed and busy with other things so I didn't focus on the test. I did terrible, so I retook the November test as a standby and obviously don't know my score yet but can honestly say I did MUCH better. Not only did I answer 14 more questions this time around, but I was confident on way more, and guessed less than in October.

That being said I highly recommend retaking the test. This test is very difficult and I feel it's natural to improve your score just by having the experience of doing it before and knowing what to expect time and material wise. I don't think it would be beneficial to spend the money if you're looking to improve by like 30 points.
This is really similar to my story.

You should only retake the test, in my opinion, if your score doesn't seem to match up with how well you were doing on practice exams. Maybe you were having and off-day, maybe you guessed less lucky, maybe you messed up the answer sheet. If you are just unhappy with your result because you have too high of expectations for yourself, you should save your money.