Should I take the Math GRE ?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
geekstats

Should I take the Math GRE ?

Postby geekstats » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi,

I will be applying to Statistics PhD programs coming fall and some of the programs recommend taking the Math subject test. I am planning to take it in October, which approximately gives me 6 months to prepare. My issue is that I was not an undergrad Math major, although I did take some classes on Calculus, Analysis and Linear Algebra (that was 3 years ago). Although I am somewhat familiar with the concepts, I wouldn't call myself proficient.

Given my background, is it reasonable to aim for a 80th percentile on this test in 6 months ? Also I work full time, due to which I can only spare 3-4 hours daily for this. If 6 months is a good enough time frame, could you give some suggestions about relevant materials and how I should go about preparing for it ?

Thanks.

djysyed

Re: Should I take the Math GRE ?

Postby djysyed » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:45 pm

You have the background to solve 75% of the questions. Princeton review is what most people use and it can certainly get you your 80th percentile. I believe 6 months of 1-2 hours a day is more than enough for most people.

2211nasa

Re: Should I take the Math GRE ?

Postby 2211nasa » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:31 am

I have a friend who applied to stats PhD’s and did pretty well for himself (accepted into top ranked schools with funding/stipend etc) this admissions season with a very bare mathematical background/no mGRE, so I wouldn’t sweat it. Granted, he had a pretty good track record in our school in terms of research and grad classes, so I’m certain he had a fairly strong application regardless of mGRE.

But it can’t hurt. It’s a decision you can make based on how you want to budget your time and effort, and how you think it will affect your chances.

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”