Quantum info groups in math schools?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
J123

Quantum info groups in math schools?

Post by J123 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 pm

I'm currently a graduate student in mathematics getting my master's degree. I am interested in a bit probability and partial differential equations, and, secondarily, a bit of mathematical physics; most likely quantum information theory. I'll most likely be moving to a different graduate program after completing my master's degree from my current institution , and I'm currently trying to figure out whether there are mathematics departments that have research groups in quantum information theory.
I believe I will want to stay in a mathematics department, as I'm not awfully interested in the experimental aspects of quantum information. I'm more interested in the mathematical aspects of the subject, and I'll definitely be applying with the approach where I'll try and cash on my undergraduate background in physics/quantum mechanics, and use my knowledge of math in topology, functional analysis, real analysis etc. to put it to good, meaningful use to solve inter-disciplinary problems.

However, I'm not sure whether there are a large number of math departments in the US that have research groups in quantum information? I know there's one at UC Davis,

http://qmap.ucdavis.edu/,

and I think the math department at UT Austin collaborates heavily with the physics/cs departments, so I won't be surprised if they have people working in quantum information over there.

I'm not, however, sure whether these departments/research groups are anomalies. It'd be great if someone could nudge me in the right answer to this direction? List of math departments doing quantum information? Or should I look at CS/Physics departments*?

*I don't think I will apply to physics schools because I am not really interested in the experimental aspects, and I don't think I can sum up the courage to take both the math/physics GRE this year, for which I will have to study from the scratch.

LordWiki

Re: Quantum info groups in math schools?

Post by LordWiki » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:22 am

Personally, I think it's much easier to do quantum information theory through a CS or physics department. If you're open to that, then UT Austin is a good choice for that. Caltech, MIT, and Waterloo all have people working on the mathematical aspects of quantum information as well.

J123

Post by J123 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:49 am

LordWiki wrote:Personally, I think it's much easier to do quantum information theory through a CS or physics department. If you're open to that, then UT Austin is a good choice for that. Caltech, MIT, and Waterloo all have people working on the mathematical aspects of quantum information as well.
Yes, I'm definitely considering UT Austin. Scott Aaronson's there, but he's in the CS department. I'm not sure if I can still be in the math department and work with him. I know someone studying physics over there, and his adviser is in the math department.

Caltech, MIT, and Waterloo are going to be long shots. Will try, but do you have any other suggestions that may be of a less reach?

LordWiki

Post by LordWiki » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm

J123 wrote:
LordWiki wrote:Personally, I think it's much easier to do quantum information theory through a CS or physics department. If you're open to that, then UT Austin is a good choice for that. Caltech, MIT, and Waterloo all have people working on the mathematical aspects of quantum information as well.
Yes, I'm definitely considering UT Austin. Scott Aaronson's there, but he's in the CS department. I'm not sure if I can still be in the math department and work with him. I know someone studying physics over there, and his adviser is in the math department.

Caltech, MIT, and Waterloo are going to be long shots. Will try, but do you have any other suggestions that may be of a less reach?
Maybe University of Maryland and University of New Mexico? You could also look at past iterations of conferences, such as QIP, to see what institutions people are working at. Also Scott Aaronson sometimes supervises undergrads in mathematics. I think UT Austin would be flexible with that arrangement.