Very low GPA (Due to Chemistry courses)

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Chem_Whale2021

Very low GPA (Due to Chemistry courses)

Postby Chem_Whale2021 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:02 am

Hello Everyone,

After a long ride and changing of majors. I've finally found that Math has been my passion for a long time. It sucks that when I went to a community college in 2014 I started off as a geology major but then decided it wasn't for me. Four years later, I'm stuck with a low GPA due to that fact I thought Chemistry was my passion but I didn't realize it till I was in Biochemistry where it was so boring and I couldn't handle it anymore. I took Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 plus Quantitative Analysis. I got a B- Quantitative Analysis but Cs in Organic chemistry 1 and 2 (Lab 1:C- Lab: A-). My GPA right now is 2.38 (One F and a couple of Cs due to chemistry). Overall GPA with CC and four year is 2.63.

All my math courses I took so far:
Intermediate Algebra: B
College Algebra & Trig: B
Precalculus: C
Calculus 1: D (first time), B(Second time)
Calculus 2: B-
Calculus 3: B
Current semester (2019 Semester) *Only math courses* I have History and Weather course I'm also taking
Introduction to Proofs
Complex Analysis
Differential Equations
Future possible courses:
UIUC Math 415 Applied Linear Algebra (Summer 2019)
Basic Analysis
Classical Algebra
Elementary Abstract Algebra
Advanced Calculus I (Probably, if offered)

At my University, there is no set of requirements except we get to pick which sets we like to complete and take two of each.
Algebra
Analysis
Geometry/topology
Probability/statistics
I'm doing Algebra and Analysis (Just four courses, two per set)

Research: Trying to discover what kind of area I like in math (Algebra Topology is something I like). Will email professors within the field. Already part of a research group in Atmospheric Science. Maybe I was thinking of combining math and Atmospheric Science and create a cool research topic relating to both (Applied math??)

I'm also taking Atmospheric Science courses as well. I have a minor in it. My major requires a minor.

Are there any Universities out there that would accept me? my goal is to get 3.00 or higher every semester from now on, but I'm debating if I should take more atmospheric science courses. My goal is to take Synoptic Meteorology 1.

Will be taking the GRE and GRE Math in Summer 2020!

MMDE

Re: Very low GPA (Due to Chemistry courses)

Postby MMDE » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:27 pm

If you do well in all your upper level courses such as analysis, algebra, or complex, and also have decent GRE scores I don't see why not. Try to get some research under your belt and close to your rec letters, that helps a lot.

Chem_Whale2021

Re: Very low GPA (Due to Chemistry courses)

Postby Chem_Whale2021 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:48 pm

I just got an email about a proposed undergraduate topic in the area of Atmospheric Science Research group I am in currently.

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”