Big changes to mathsub.com

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
DMAshura

Big changes to mathsub.com

Post by DMAshura » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Hello everyone! I've made some big changes to https://www.mathsub.com/ in an effort to make it an even better resource, and I wanted to let you all know about them.
  • The biggest change is that rather than full solutions to the practice tests, I've decided to instead provide hints to the questions.

Why hints?

I’ve been tutoring and teaching mathematics since 2009, and in that time I’ve found that students often learn a lot more when they can have a nudge toward answering a difficult problem, rather than just being shown the solution. With a hint, you’re still the one who has to actively apply that bit of knowledge and work your way through to the answer … and it’ll stick with you much more as a result because you're the one who ended up solving the problem!

The way it works is that you go to the practice test you’re working on, and when you need a hint on a problem, click the corresponding dropdown to expand that hint. This way, you can choose which problems you need a slight push on without giving the others away.

Also note that while previously I had solutions to only the two most recent practice tests, I now have hints to all available practice tests, as well as the often-overlooked Descriptive Booklet (97-99).
  • I do still have solutions available on my page though --- I've provided links to the solutions by Ian Coley, Brian Sittinger, and Charles Rambo, so you have one place where you can find all of them without having to track them down separately.
  • I've included Charles Rambo's original practice test on my Resources section and given a review of it. (Spoiler: I like it!)
  • For my Twitter (https://twitter.com/mathsubgre),rather than simply reposting the same practice questions you've already seen, I've decided to do something better. Instead, I will be posting daily theorems, facts, and formulas that can come in handy when studying for the test, and every Sunday I will be posting a brand-new GRE-style multiple choice question. I'll be starting with those new posts on Monday, so stay tuned!
All in all I think these will be helpful additions to the current test-prep landscape. I hope they end up being useful to some of you! :D

- Bill Shillito

nicorobin22

Re: Big changes to mathsub.com

Post by nicorobin22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi Bill,

I am a bit curious about your tutoring program. Could you tell me more about this program?

Charles.Rambo

Re: Big changes to mathsub.com

Post by Charles.Rambo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:21 pm

I just found out about your website a few days ago. Thanks for the feedback about my work! If anybody asks about good resources, I'll have to direct them to your page.