GRE Subject Test for Applied Math Programs?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
MMDE
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

GRE Subject Test for Applied Math Programs?

Postby MMDE » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Assuming one got a low score on the subject test, is it better to not even submit it to applied programs? Though they say it's not explicitly required (although they strongly encourage it), I'm worried not sending my score will set me up for automatic rejection at top programs, especially since I come from an unknown state school. What do you all think? I'm a domestic applicant by the way, if that makes any difference.

clarenthol
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:41 am

Re: GRE Subject Test for Applied Math Programs?

Postby clarenthol » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:40 pm

I'd say send it, own it, and sell yourself in other ways. Mine is assuredly worse and that's what I'm doing. It might be better to just pretend like it doesn't exist though hehe. I did reach out to one school about it and the coordinator said that under 500 is concerning but otherwise the score doesn't mean much until higher than 700. This is a 50-100 school. Also, they take a holistic view of the entire app blah blah blah. I say go for some low matriculation schools if your subject score is bad and they require it; the consideration window will widen over time.

MMDE
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: GRE Subject Test for Applied Math Programs?

Postby MMDE » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:35 am

clarenthol wrote:I'd say send it, own it, and sell yourself in other ways. Mine is assuredly worse and that's what I'm doing. It might be better to just pretend like it doesn't exist though hehe. I did reach out to one school about it and the coordinator said that under 500 is concerning but otherwise the score doesn't mean much until higher than 700. This is a 50-100 school. Also, they take a holistic view of the entire app blah blah blah. I say go for some low matriculation schools if your subject score is bad and they require it; the consideration window will widen over time.

Ah I'm torn, I've had a few people tell me what you told me, and a few others who have said to not submit it. My score is 500+, but I'm aiming for top 25 schools. Of all the schools I'm applying to, I think only 2-3 require it, one of them being my dream school of NYU, but I guess that dream is now gone.

clarenthol
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:41 am

Re: GRE Subject Test for Applied Math Programs?

Postby clarenthol » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:58 am

I would definitely still apply if it's your dream school. You should send it though. I say that because they get way too many applicants not to thin the herd during initial review. They have to find ways to get to a manageable number of applicants quickly and not submitting required material would disqualify you I imagine. Good luck!

ponchan
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: GRE Subject Test for Applied Math Programs?

Postby ponchan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:56 am

If you don't send it, they might assume it's even worse than it is.

MMDE
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: GRE Subject Test for Applied Math Programs?

Postby MMDE » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:08 am

clarenthol wrote:I would definitely still apply if it's your dream school. You should send it though. I say that because they get way too many applicants not to thin the herd during initial review. They have to find ways to get to a manageable number of applicants quickly and not submitting required material would disqualify you I imagine. Good luck!

Yes at NYU I'll certainly submit it as they require it. It's the other schools such as Columbia's APAM or Brown which don't require it but "strongly recommend it" that I'm on the fence about.
ponchan wrote:If you don't send it, they might assume it's even worse than it is.

I was wondering this, if I don't submit it would they think it's higher or lower haha.




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests