Materials to study for Math subject GRE

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
toopham

Materials to study for Math subject GRE

Post by toopham » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi guys. I will be taking my GRE this october.
I am studying by using the 4th edition math GRE but I also have math books that I use to look over.

This is what I gather that I should know and study for the Math Subject GRE.
I am very interested in knowing YOUR method of studying and what sources you use.
Please share with all of us.

My sources:
Cracking the math subject GRE 4th edition
Analysis book - functions, compact, continuous, connected, simply connected,. etc
Algebra, sylow theorems, lagrange theorems. Abelian groups. (Now is this enough? Can someone comment on this).
Topology, basic set theory.
calculus book. ( I TA for calculus 2 so it is still fresh in my head. I will need some reviewing for multivariable calc.)

Please let me know what I am missing or let me know any other good sources to learn the material.

StudentA

Re: Materials to study for Math subject GRE

Post by StudentA » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi toopham,

I planned to take the exam in this November.

Well I'll follow the content page of 'Cracking the GER Maths Sub Test 4th ed' as my guide of topic revision.

For the abstract algebra, I think "Sylow Theorem" may be a bit advanced for the test.
And almost all easier topics in group theory are needed: eg. Cyclic groups, subgroups, cyclic subgroup and generators, isomorphisms and homomorphisms.
Topics needed on RING and FIELD may be less advanced: e.g Definition of Ring, Ring homomorphisms, integral domains, finite extension of field.

Probably you know 25% of the questions are on elementary, abstract and LINEAR ALGEBRA, which you did not mention.

Other additional topics include:
NUMBER THEORY (primes, division algorithm, Euclidean algorithm, Diophantne eqn, congruence eqn, etc.)
ODE (no need to study numerical methods)
DISCRETE MATHS (Logic, permutations, combinations, algorithms, graph theory, probability and statistics)
COMPLEX ANALYSIS (someone in this forum mentioned: "... need to know arithmetic with complex numbers, the residue theorem and Cauchy's integral formula")

I'll also use the Schaum's outline series for revision purpose (Calculus, Advanced Calculus, Linear Algebra, General Topology, Discrete Maths, ODE, Prob and Stat). The series on Abstract Algebra, Group Theory (and PDE, not needed in the GRE test) are not very good.

Arslan Asim

Post by Arslan Asim » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:04 am

hi toopham
I am also planning to give the test in october, i am using 2nd edition of the book. I can not get 4th edition, do u have the soft copy?

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:38 am

Student A - I've found that "Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Calculus" is fantastic. Many of the tricks required to solve the problems in that book are the same used to solve problems on the GRE math sub.