Questions correct/score/percentile

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Aramark

Questions correct/score/percentile

Post by Aramark » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Hey everyone.

So, amidst hyperventilating with friends about the September GRE/keeping fingers crossed for getting a good enough score to cancel October, I've been wondering if there's a likely mapping of correct answer to score to percentile (the test they released most recently has the former, but not the latter, and it seems to just be the same test as from 2012 but with a different conversion scale).

djysyed

Re: Questions correct/score/percentile

Post by djysyed » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Are you thinking of https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_math.pdf ?

According to DM Ashura's site, the scores depend on how well people did on your test. For example, on a harder test, a 46 could be an 800 while on an easier test, a 49 could be an 800.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:26 am

djysyed wrote:Are you thinking of https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_math.pdf ?

According to DM Ashura's site, the scores depend on how well people did on your test. For example, on a harder test, a 46 could be an 800 while on an easier test, a 49 could be an 800.
Wow, I never looked into this but I'm surprised answering 45-50 questions could land you close to an 800, which from what I understand is close to 80th percentile.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:08 am

This might have been true before guessing was allowed. It seems that 50 correct questions will get you around 70-75% now.

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:44 am

Aramark wrote:Hey everyone.

So, amidst hyperventilating with friends about the September GRE/keeping fingers crossed for getting a good enough score to cancel October, I've been wondering if there's a likely mapping of correct answer to score to percentile (the test they released most recently has the former, but not the latter, and it seems to just be the same test as from 2012 but with a different conversion scale).
Also, if you’re unsure about how you did, it’s best not to cancel. The deadline to cancel October is right before scores come out. Gotta love ETS.

DMAshura

Post by DMAshura » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:41 pm

ponchan wrote:This might have been true before guessing was allowed. It seems that 50 correct questions will get you around 70-75% now.
I really should update this for the newest rubric. Let me go do that now.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:40 pm

ponchan wrote:This might have been true before guessing was allowed. It seems that 50 correct questions will get you around 70-75% now.
Do you have a source for this? I heard they upped the difficulty to account for the guessing, which in turn should offset any percentile differences.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm

MMDE wrote:
Do you have a source for this? I heard they upped the difficulty to account for the guessing, which in turn should offset any percentile differences.
Nope, I'm just basing this on how I personally did on the exams both before and after the change, and how other people I know who scored similarly did. I didn't notice and significant change in difficulty.

Aramark

Post by Aramark » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Bottomology wrote:
Aramark wrote:Hey everyone.

Also, if you’re unsure about how you did, it’s best not to cancel. The deadline to cancel October is right before scores come out. Gotta love ETS.
According to the ETS: "You must cancel your test registration no later than four full days before your test date or your test fee will be forfeited."
So the deadline to cancel the October 27th test should be October 23rd, and we receive test scores on October 13th, so I was under the impression that we'd know in time to cancel. Also even in the lack of cancellation, just not showing up would be nice.