2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
oleander314

2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Postby oleander314 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:05 pm

The season for applications is here!
Last edited by oleander314 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

oleander314

Re: 2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Postby oleander314 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts college in the US
Major(s): Art History and Mathematics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA: 3.97/4
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 160 (88%)
V: 157 (76%)
W: 4.0 (59%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: Taken 9/15/18 (very low expectations...)

TOEFL Score: N/A

Program Applying: Pure Mathematics Ph.D.

Research Experience: REU in number theory (arithmetic dynamics) outside of my institution, independent study/thesis in number theory (p-adic analysis) at my institution.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Top 10% of class, 4 mathematics departmental award, 2 monetary mathematics awards
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA (3 years), grader (4 year), AWM Chapter president (2 years), volunteer tutor (6 years)
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I know my recommenders extremely well and have worked closely with all of them. I took many statistics courses as well.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Nothing that comes to mind...

Applying to Where:
Brown University
Cambridge (MASt)
Dartmouth College
Stanford University
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
University of Minnesota
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
University of North Carolina
University of Pennsylvania
University of Washington
Last edited by oleander314 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banach-Steinhaus

Postby Banach-Steinhaus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:06 pm

This should actually be the 2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results. The 2018 one can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3867 and was for last year’s profiles and results. I’m not sure why they never stickied it...

superballzach

Postby superballzach » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Undergrad Institution: Clemson University
Major(s): Mathematics
Minor(s): None
GPA: 3.09/4
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

Grad Institution: Clemson University
GPA: 3.89/4

GRE Revised General Test: Taking soon.
Q:
V:
W:

GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: Taken 9/15/18.
M:

Research Experience: Independent study in algebraic topology with my advisor, an independent study in representation theory with an algebraist in our department, and a masters project on characteristic classes with my advisor. Also did a semester long research project in graph theory during undergrad.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List twice in undergrad. Had 4.0's in all my semesters as a graduate student except for a summer mini-mester.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA (2 years), Grader (3 years), Instructor (1 year).
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I know my recommenders extremely well, and some of them have connections at many of the universities I'm applying to. My first two letters will come from my advisor and my representation theory mentor, and I expect their letters to be strong. My last letter will come from the professor of my year long graduate algebra course, which I did extremely well in, and I expect that letter to be very good. I'm sure they will all mention how motivated I am as well. Attended a summer program on algebraic geometry/topology at the University of Chicago and a graduate student geometry/topology conference at UIC.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your Application and Might Matter: Many graduate courses in addition to the year long algebra sequence, in particular functional analysis, measure theory, complex analysis, algebraic number theory, and commutative algebra, with A's in each of these. Currently sitting in on a point-set topology course taught by my representation theory mentor, as I never took that and am just wanting to fill in that gap in my knowledge. I was very lazy during undergrad, which mainly stemmed from my severe depression, but I am much more mentally healthy, focused, and determined nowadays.

Applying to Where:

University of Utah
University of Oregon
University of Illinois at Chicago
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Virginia
University of Georgia
Brandeis University
Tufts University
University of South Carolina
Last edited by superballzach on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lippyrogue

Re: 2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Postby lippyrogue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top Canadian University
Major(s): Pure Mathematics and Combinatorics & Optimization
GPA: 98% major, 95% cumulative
Type of Student: International Asian Male

Q: 170 (96%)
V: 155 (69%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 970 (99%)

Program Applying: Pure Mathematics and ACO

Research Experience: Undergraduate research in combinatorial optimization (which according to my supervisor is publishable, we're still working on it).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: IMO Medals, Top 150 Putnam, some undergraduate scholarships
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I have taken 6 graduate courses so far, taking another 2 this term (+ 1 reading course) and planning to take 4 in my last term.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your Application and Might Matter: Graduating in 3 years (7 terms), have not done any pure math research.

Applying to Where:
Super Reach:
MIT
Princeton
Stanford
UChicago

Reach:
Columbia
UC Berkeley
UCLA

Match:
Cambridge (MASt)
Georgia Tech
Waterloo
Last edited by lippyrogue on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

jwg

Postby jwg » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Undergrad Institution: medium state
Major(s): Math, Economics
GPA: 3.3 overall, 3.89 math, 3.46 econ
Type of Student: domestic white male

Q: Taking 10/28
V:
W:
M: Taking 10/27, current diagnostics around 40%

Program Applying: [Applied] Math, some Statistics PhD
Interests: numerical analysis, probability, analysis, statistics; applications to economics and biology

Research Experience:
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list couple semesters
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked for two years (part time during undergrad now full time in gap year) in biostatistics lab in cancer center at my university, no papers with my name on them, just some code. Will use letter of recommendation from PI for statistics programs, not math.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Recommenders are all senior professors, two with year long sequences, got all A's, was vocal in class/office hours
Any Other Info That Shows Up On our App and Might Matter: Pretty famous letter writers

All math courses: calc III: A, linear algebra: A-, intro probability: A, ode: A, analysis I: A, analysis II: A, intro math statistics I/II: A/A, numerical analysis I/II: A-/A, intro real analysis: A-, number theory: A-
(econometrics in econ department: A)

Question for the world: Are my chances better at statistics programs given my courses and work experience? I prefer math and am kicking myself for not taking more pure classes, math REU and working as a grader/tutor in math... Many schools on my list are at math departments at schools without statistics departments.

Applying to Where:
This is currently an enormous list of schools from (usnews) rank 20-100, will update later
Last edited by jwg on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cater99

Postby cater99 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:44 am

Hi everyone!

Undergrad Institution: West Coast, Public, Top 50
Major(s): (Pure) Mathematics
GPA: 3.77 Major, 3.63 Cumulative
Type of Student: International Asian Male

V: 160 (86%)
W: 4.5 (82%)
M: 830 (83%) from 4/14/2018

Program Applying: Pure & Applied Math Master's and Math Education Doctoral

Research Experience: Undergraduate research in PDE and Numerical Linear Algebra

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: dean's list, nothing special
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: took a few graduate courses and served as a TA for calculus I, II.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your Application and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Update soon!

dtb7793

Postby dtb7793 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Undergrad Institution: Lib Arts in Washington State
Major(s): BS Mathematics
Minor(s): na
GPA: 3.41
Type of Student: (Domestic Asian Male)

Grad Institution: Different Lib Arts in Washington State
Major(s): MS Mathematics
Minor(s): na
GPA: 3.94

GRE Revised General Test: Wanting to retake this
Q: 162 (80%) (Sept 2015)
V: 159 (83%)
M: 730 (66%) (Sept 2018)

Program Applying: Pure Math Algebraic Geometry/Topology

Research Experience: One in undergrad independently on Homotopy type of subgroup lattice for cyclic groups, one in graduate school on the multidegree of matrix orbit closures.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Grad in Honors from Graduate school
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Community College Teacher

Applying to Where: (In no particular order)
School - University of Arizona / Waiting
School - University of Hawaii at Manoa / Waiting
School - University of Nevada Reno / Waiting
School - UC Riverside / Waiting
School - UC Irvine / Waiting
School - UC Davis / Waiting
School - UC Santa Cruz / Waiting
School - Oregon State University / Waiting

packagednoodles

Postby packagednoodles » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Undergrad Institution: medium-sized liberal arts school in northeast
Major(s): Pure Math
Minor(s): Physics & Business
GPA: 3.96/4.00
Type of Student: domestic white male

Q: 167 (90-something %)
V: 161 (88%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: 710 (62%)

Research Experience: REU in matrix analysis at prestigious research uni, undergrad thesis in matrix analysis & probability, research in p-adic analysis at home uni

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: College of arts and sciences award given to top 1% of senior class, math department award given to top rising senior, outside STEM scholarship, PME Chapter President

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Founder and President of university math club, TA for Probability, Abstract Algebra, Linear Algebra

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Independent studies in point-set topology, representation theory, dynamical systems, coding theory, general relativity/string theory, research in theoretical physics, independent study in semigroup theory

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've done research with all my letter-writers, and have more than three, expecting each to provide unique information. I know my letter writers well. Also, I've visited about half of the universities I'm applying to, met with the grad directors, and sat in classes. Not sure if that makes any impact but it's let me travel around a bit!

Applying to Where:

UMichigan, Ann Arbor
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Brown
Cornell
Tufts
Boston University
Boston College
UMass Amherst
Northeastern
Dartmouth
Syracuse
Wesleyan
Lehigh

ohtimethypyramids

Postby ohtimethypyramids » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:02 am

Undergrad Institution: Ivy
Major(s): Mathematics and Theology
GPA: 3.77
Type of Student: Domestic biracial female

Q: 168
V: 170
W: 6.0
9/15: 41%, yikes.
10/27: Praying for a miracle (and studying, ofc)

Program Applying: Pure Mathematics Ph.D., interdisciplinary Ph.D. in applications of mathematical logic

Research Experience: Two-year REU in biostatistics with a distinguished statistician, REU in combinatorics, 4-5 upcoming papers (things slog through review so slowly!), but nothing published yet. Have refereed papers.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: YMC presenter, expecting a JMM invitation
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Math department tutor, research assistant in a humanities field
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Very close with most of my recommenders.
Any Other Info: In the interdisciplinary Ph.D. field to which I am applying, I am very competitive (I will have published extensively in the field, have taken myriad grad courses, have multiple very well-known recommenders who love me, and the field is niche enough that everyone knows each other). Sadly, this isn't the case in pure math. My home department is smallish but very strong, so although I am well-liked and respected in my department, I make no pretensions to being a top student. I expect my math recs will call me "enthusiastic and boundlessly curious" rather than "brilliant." I fully recognize that admission to a G1 program might be a pipe dream.

Applying to Where:
UCLA
Berkeley
NYU
UChicago (interdisciplinary)
Columbia (interdisciplinary)
Harvard (interdisciplinary)
Yale (interdisciplinary)
MIT (interdisciplinary)
UT Austin
Wisconsin-Madison
Michigan
Texas A&M
University of Washington
Cornell
Rutgers
Stony Brook
Oxford (interdisciplinary)
Duke
OSU
Urbana-Champaign
Brown
Stanford (interdisciplinary)
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
Georgia Tech
University of Oregon
UC San Diego

Leida

Postby Leida » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Undergrad Institution: Honors class of the university in China with First rank on math (But not as same well-know as for overall rank, however still good)
GPA: Mathematics 86.44/100, Cumulative 85.22/100 (top 5% among all math students in our university. We study very hard graduate courses / courses with graduate level, our first rank is only 89 or 91.)
Type of Student: International Chinese Male

Grad Institution: Well-known for the major but not for overall in US
Major(s): Computational and Applied Math
GPA: Mathematics 3.90/4.00, Cumulative 3.83/4.00

V: 152 (56%)
W: 3.5 (41%)
M: 910 (97%) (Sep.15, went to take the test almost without any preparation. My math background is very solid)

TOEFL Score: (104 = R29/L25/S22/W28) (Took this more than 2 years ago so I am looking for toefl waiver)

Program Applying: Mainly wanna go back to pure math, but applied math is OK. I want to do PDE analysis or differential geometry.

Research Experience: 1 preprint of independent PDE paper with 53 pages on prepare for publish; 1 short paper of interesting result on a problem; Currently doing generalization of a stochastic analysis conclusion. Give lectures on 3 advanced seminars including homological algebra, quantum stochastic calculus and Mersenne Prime.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Consecutive 3 year third-class scholarship in undergrad; 2 First-award of national math competition (one of them is only of preliminary the another one is real); 1 First-award of math competition within Province.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA to undergrad and grad since I enrolled. Give recitation lectures.

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Studied courses were hard. 70% were graduate course and almost all to graduate level.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I am a Ph.D. student in applied math department but I am planning to transfer to another program. 2 of my professors here voluntarily told me that they are willing to offer me very strong recommendation. Most importantly, I have passed all the Qual Exams for Ph.D. here.

[b]Applying to Where:
(Still on decision, since I don't wanna take toefl anymore)

Dream
MIT
Stanford
Uchicago

Still...hopeful?
UCB
UCLA
Caltech
NYU
Columbia

Believe in myself
Cornell