2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
oleander314

2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Postby oleander314 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:05 pm

The season for applications is here!
Last edited by oleander314 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

oleander314

Re: 2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Postby oleander314 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small Liberal Arts, USA
Major(s): Art History and Mathematics
Minor(s): None
GPA: 3.97/4
Type of Student: Domestic White Female

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 165 (88%)
V: 157 (76%)
W: 4.0 (59%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: Took 9/15/18 (I don't have high hopes...) :oops:

TOEFL Score: N/A

Program Applying: Pure Mathematics Ph.D.

Research Experience: REU in number theory (arithmetic dynamics), independent study/thesis in number theory (p-adic analysis)
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Top 10% of class, 4 mathematics departmental award, 2 monetary mathematics awards
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA (3 years), grader (4 year), AWM Chapter president (2 years), volunteer tutor (6 years)
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I know my recommenders extremely well and have worked closely with all of them. I took many statistics courses as well.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your Application and Might Matter: Nothing that comes to mind...

Applying to Where:

Brown University
Cambridge University (MASt)
Dartmouth College
Stanford University
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
University of Minnesota
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
University of North Carolina
University of Pennsylvania
University of Washington

Banach-Steinhaus

Postby Banach-Steinhaus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:06 pm

This should actually be the 2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results. The 2018 one can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3867 and was for last year’s profiles and results. I’m not sure why they never stickied it...

superballzach

Postby superballzach » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Undergrad Institution: Clemson University
Major(s): Mathematics
Minor(s): None
GPA: 3.09/4
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

Grad Institution: Clemson University
Major(s): Mathematics
GPA: 3.89/4

GRE Revised General Test: Taking soon.
Q:
V:
W:

GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: Taken 9/15/18.
M:

TOEFL Score: N/A

Program Applying: Pure Mathematics Ph.D.

Research Experience: Independent study in algebraic topology with my advisor, an independent study in representation theory with an algebraist in our department, and a masters project on characteristic classes with my advisor. Also did a semester long research project in graph theory during undergrad.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List twice in undergrad. Had 4.0's in all my semesters as a graduate student except for a summer mini-mester.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA (2 years), Grader (3 years), Instructor (1 year).
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I know my recommenders extremely well, and some of them have connections at many of the universities I'm applying to. My first two letters will come from my advisor and my representation theory mentor, and I expect their letters to be strong. My last letter will come from the professor of my year long graduate algebra course, which I did extremely well in, and I expect that letter to be very good. I'm sure they will all mention how motivated I am as well. Attended a summer program on algebraic geometry/topology at the University of Chicago and a graduate student geometry/topology conference at UIC.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your Application and Might Matter: Many graduate courses in addition to the year long algebra sequence, in particular functional analysis, measure theory, complex analysis, algebraic number theory, and commutative algebra, with A's in each of these. Currently sitting in on a point-set topology course taught by my representation theory mentor, as I never took that and am just wanting to fill in that gap in my knowledge. I was very lazy during undergrad, which mainly stemmed from my severe depression, but I am much more mentally healthy, focused, and determined nowadays.

Applying to Where:

University of Utah
University of Oregon
University of Illinois at Chicago
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Virginia
University of Georgia
Brandeis University
Tufts University
University of South Carolina
Last edited by superballzach on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lippyrogue

Re: 2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Postby lippyrogue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top Canadian University
Major(s): Pure Mathematics and Combinatorics & Optimization
GPA: 98% major, 95% cumulative
Type of Student: International Asian Male

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 170 (96%)
V: 155 (69%)
W: 4.0 (59%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: Taken 9/15/18

Program Applying: Pure Mathematics and ACO

Research Experience: Undergraduate research in combinatorial optimization (which according to my supervisor is publishable, we're still working on it).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: IMO Medals, Top 150 Putnam, some undergraduate scholarships
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I have taken 6 graduate courses so far, taking another 2 this term (+ 1 reading course) and planning to take 4 in my last term.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your Application and Might Matter: Graduating in 3 years (7 terms), have not done any pure math research.

Applying to Where:
Cambridge University (MASt)
Stanford University
University of Chicago
UC Berkeley
UCLA
University of Michigan
University of Waterloo
Georgia Institute of Technology
Carnegie Mellon University

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”