Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
daruma
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:13 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby daruma » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:15 am

Likewise, I have had four rejections so far with no acceptances. At this late stage, realistically, I have to embrace when there are no offers.

seven
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby seven » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:56 am

Has anyone contacted schools for a status update? If so, how'd it go? Does it negatively affect your application status?

oniongood
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby oniongood » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:50 am

seven wrote:Has anyone contacted schools for a status update? If so, how'd it go? Does it negatively affect your application status?


I have contacted several schools to check my application status this week. Got two rejections, three waitlists, and one acceptance as a reply. Having paid those fairly high application fees, I think it is fine and legit to send one or two inquiry e-mails, especially as it is approaching mid March and most programs have released their first-round offers.

kanep96
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:00 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby kanep96 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:12 pm

oniongood wrote:
seven wrote:Has anyone contacted schools for a status update? If so, how'd it go? Does it negatively affect your application status?


I have contacted several schools to check my application status this week. Got two rejections, three waitlists, and one acceptance as a reply. Having paid those fairly high application fees, I think it is fine and legit to send one or two inquiry e-mails, especially as it is approaching mid March and most programs have released their first-round offers.


Wait, you emailed *them* and they said you were accepted? That seems a bit... different lol. How did they word it? Something along the lines of "Whoops, actually, youre accepted. Sorry for not emailing you earlier."? Is that a relatively common occurrence?

oniongood
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby oniongood » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 pm

OK, my bad. Let me clarify on that *acceptance* one. I have to say it is the fact that my offer arrived one day after I got the reply made me exaggerate; sorry for any confusion. So I knew that some got rejections as a reply to their inquiry e-mails and were told that there may be second-round offers. The reply I got said that the department will give me "a more definite answer" this week and there will be second-round offers. Seems that I am obviously over interpreting.

Dopeboyz
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:53 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby Dopeboyz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Anyone heard anything from UIC? I know they sent out a few acceptances, but that's about it.

kanep96
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:00 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby kanep96 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:15 pm

oniongood wrote:OK, my bad. Let me clarify on that *acceptance* one. I have to say it is the fact that my offer arrived one day after I got the reply made me exaggerate; sorry for any confusion. So I knew that some got rejections as a reply to their inquiry e-mails and were told that there may be second-round offers. The reply I got said that the department will give me "a more definite answer" this week and there will be second-round offers. Seems that I am obviously over interpreting.


No worries pal! Was just curious. Thanks for the clarification!

bbqchips
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby bbqchips » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Dopeboyz wrote:Anyone heard anything from UIC? I know they sent out a few acceptances, but that's about it.


One of my friends was accepted there, but I haven't heard anything back from them.

MMDE
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby MMDE » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:50 pm

When inquiring about admissions status, who do you guys address your emails to? General graduate admissions or specifically to the math department? Most schools seem to have a separate email for both.

ramseytype
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby ramseytype » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 pm

MMDE wrote:When inquiring about admissions status, who do you guys address your emails to? General graduate admissions or specifically to the math department? Most schools seem to have a separate email for both.


If they provide an email on their admissions or applications pages, email that. Otherwise, see if they have a Grad Program Coordinator. If they do, email them. Finally, if the above options are not available, find the person with the title of "Graduate Chair" or "Director of Graduate Studies" and email them.

seven
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby seven » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Update: I emailed 7 schools yesterday. If the math grad webpage had a contact email, that is who I emailed. Most schools were quick to respond. 2 waitlists, 2 rejections, 1 will not give status updates, 2 no responses.

MMDE
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby MMDE » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:57 pm

Thank you both!

sacamano
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:10 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby sacamano » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm

seven wrote:Update: I emailed 7 schools yesterday. If the math grad webpage had a contact email, that is who I emailed. Most schools were quick to respond. 2 waitlists, 2 rejections, 1 will not give status updates, 2 no responses.


Which Schools?

seven
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby seven » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:39 pm

UC Santa Cruz said they do not give status updates and said all applicants will know by mid to late April
UC Davis waitlisted
University of Southern California waitlisted
Rutgers rejected (but nice rejection)
NC State rejected
Penn State no response
UC Santa Barbara no response

I do have an offer I'm really happy about, but I do wish I knew more of my results by now.

My email to them looked like:

Hi xxxx,

I was wondering if there was an update on my Mathematics PhD graduate application status? I am still very excited about your graduate program.

Thank you for the consideration. Please let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

Best,

djysyed
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 pm

Dopeboyz wrote:Anyone heard anything from UIC? I know they sent out a few acceptances, but that's about it.


Their admitted student visit day is next week.
Source: I go to UIC

Dopeboyz
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:53 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby Dopeboyz » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:52 am

djysyed wrote:
Dopeboyz wrote:Anyone heard anything from UIC? I know they sent out a few acceptances, but that's about it.


Their admitted student visit day is next week.
Source: I go to UIC

Does that mean you are donzo if you haven't got an acceptance yet?

djysyed
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:20 am

Dopeboyz wrote:Does that mean you are donzo if you haven't got an acceptance yet?


Well you're certainly not Hiruzen.

Dopeboyz
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:53 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby Dopeboyz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:29 am

djysyed wrote:
Dopeboyz wrote:Does that mean you are donzo if you haven't got an acceptance yet?


Well you're certainly not Hiruzen.

:lol:
humor is a great way to make the pain go away.

ponchan
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby ponchan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:54 am

Anyone hear anything from Maryland (pure) who hasn't been accepted yet?

kbm96
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby kbm96 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:03 pm

seven wrote:UC Santa Cruz said they do not give status updates and said all applicants will know by mid to late April
UC Davis waitlisted
University of Southern California waitlisted
Rutgers rejected (but nice rejection)
NC State rejected
Penn State no response
UC Santa Barbara no response

I do have an offer I'm really happy about, but I do wish I knew more of my results by now.

My email to them looked like:

Hi xxxx,

I was wondering if there was an update on my Mathematics PhD graduate application status? I am still very excited about your graduate program.

Thank you for the consideration. Please let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

Best,


Hi, who specifically did you contact at Rutgers? Thank you!

optimisticnihilist
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:27 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby optimisticnihilist » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:27 am

Hopkins applied math sent out a bunch of rejections.

tzwxy
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby tzwxy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am

Has anyone heard back from Michigan State University? :oops:

seven
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby seven » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:52 am

kbm96 wrote:
seven wrote:UC Santa Cruz said they do not give status updates and said all applicants will know by mid to late April
UC Davis waitlisted
University of Southern California waitlisted
Rutgers rejected (but nice rejection)
NC State rejected
Penn State no response
UC Santa Barbara no response

I do have an offer I'm really happy about, but I do wish I knew more of my results by now.

My email to them looked like:

Hi xxxx,

I was wondering if there was an update on my Mathematics PhD graduate application status? I am still very excited about your graduate program.

Thank you for the consideration. Please let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

Best,


Hi, who specifically did you contact at Rutgers? Thank you!


I contacted Professor Borisov!

ribbit
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby ribbit » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:39 pm

tzwxy wrote:Has anyone heard back from Michigan State University? :oops:

They just waitlisted me.

jrayers97
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby jrayers97 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Received an email from Oregon saying to send them my travel itinerary for their prospective grad students day even though I’ve been rejected?

djysyed
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:55 pm

jrayers97 wrote:Received an email from Oregon saying to send them my travel itinerary for their prospective grad students day even though I’ve been rejected?


The automated message was accidentally sent out to all applicants.

tzwxy
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby tzwxy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:13 am

ribbit wrote:
tzwxy wrote:Has anyone heard back from Michigan State University? :oops:

They just waitlisted me.


Did you reach out or they sent you the email?

mgf
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:24 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby mgf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Has anyone heard about acceptances from applied PhD's at Johns Hopkins? Some rejections seem to have come out on March 10. I haven't heard anything at all. I'm sweating but also kind of excited that good news could potentially be around the corner.

lkguy
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:51 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby lkguy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 am

Hello everyone, :D
This is a humble and respectful request to anyone who’s been admitted to Vanderbilt and has better offers. Please do decline your offer if you’re planning on not going there. Thank you! :)

LawrenceB
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:23 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby LawrenceB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:27 am

What difference does it make if you decline or not?

ethanmhny
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:41 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby ethanmhny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:31 am

LawrenceB wrote:What difference does it make if you decline or not?


once the program knows you're not going to attend, they can make an offer to another applicant further down the waitlist

ramseytype
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby ramseytype » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:07 pm

For those who applied to UCLA, if you go to appstatus.grad.ucla.edu, you may or may not see a rejection. For me and several others I know, it says "No decision has been made to this date."

If you cannot log into AppStatus to check your status, then you need to request a password via AppStatus. It doesn't seem to share passwords with the grad app. I couldn't log in, requested a password, then was able to see the notification.

jrayers97
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby jrayers97 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:58 pm

I contacted Purdue and they said that the first round of offers went out but there might possibly be a few more, however they don’t know if or when it would be.

wannabealgebraist
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:16 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby wannabealgebraist » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:19 pm

ramseytype wrote:For those who applied to UCLA, if you go to appstatus.grad.ucla.edu, you may or may not see a rejection. For me and several others I know, it says "No decision has been made to this date."

If you cannot log into AppStatus to check your status, then you need to request a password via AppStatus. It doesn't seem to share passwords with the grad app. I couldn't log in, requested a password, then was able to see the notification.


So does this mean applicants who don't see a rejection are on a waitlist of sorts?

ramseytype
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby ramseytype » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 pm

wannabealgebraist wrote:
ramseytype wrote:For those who applied to UCLA, if you go to appstatus.grad.ucla.edu, you may or may not see a rejection. For me and several others I know, it says "No decision has been made to this date."

If you cannot log into AppStatus to check your status, then you need to request a password via AppStatus. It doesn't seem to share passwords with the grad app. I couldn't log in, requested a password, then was able to see the notification.


So does this mean applicants who don't see a rejection are on a waitlist of sorts?


I honestly have no clue, but I think that that is unlikely. I think UCLA is done with their admissions.

young556646
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby young556646 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm

wannabealgebraist wrote:
ramseytype wrote:For those who applied to UCLA, if you go to appstatus.grad.ucla.edu, you may or may not see a rejection. For me and several others I know, it says "No decision has been made to this date."

If you cannot log into AppStatus to check your status, then you need to request a password via AppStatus. It doesn't seem to share passwords with the grad app. I couldn't log in, requested a password, then was able to see the notification.


So does this mean applicants who don't see a rejection are on a waitlist of sorts?


You know, some other schools took several days to send out their rejections. UCLA apparently started to send out their rejections yesterday or today, so I believe it is just a matter of time for us to be rejected.

oopsie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby oopsie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Any news regarding CU Boulder or UC Davis? Been completely radio silent since I submitted my applications...

Dopeboyz
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:53 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby Dopeboyz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:43 pm

I just got into a top 25 program with a 25% on the MGRE. Suck it ETS! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

riffraff11235
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 am

I've seen some posters here and on Gradcafe who seem to know how far up they are on certain waitlists. For instance, I saw two people say they were high up on Dartmouth's waitlist, but my waitlist letter didn't mention anything about my position relative to other applicants. Do they only mention it if you're near the top or something?

young556646
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby young556646 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:39 am

riffraff11235 wrote:I've seen some posters here and on Gradcafe who seem to know how far up they are on certain waitlists. For instance, I saw two people say they were high up on Dartmouth's waitlist, but my waitlist letter didn't mention anything about my position relative to other applicants. Do they only mention this if you're near the top or something?


For example, OSU sent out the complete waitlist (of course names replaced by some sort of codes) for each applicant on the list, and it contained the ranking for upper half of the waitlist and the list of lower half applicants without detailed ranking. On the other hand, Duke did not sent any information about the ranking. Maybe some of the schools which do not provide the rankings in initial notification will tell you about your ranking if you ask them.

eight887
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby eight887 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:54 pm

Has anyone heard anything from BU recently?

riffraff11235
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:25 pm

eight887 wrote:Has anyone heard anything from BU recently?


I've seen some responses trickling in during the past two weeks. Haven't gotten anything myself.

MathCat
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby MathCat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm

young556646 wrote:
riffraff11235 wrote:I've seen some posters here and on Gradcafe who seem to know how far up they are on certain waitlists. For instance, I saw two people say they were high up on Dartmouth's waitlist, but my waitlist letter didn't mention anything about my position relative to other applicants. Do they only mention this if you're near the top or something?


For example, OSU sent out the complete waitlist (of course names replaced by some sort of codes) for each applicant on the list, and it contained the ranking for upper half of the waitlist and the list of lower half applicants without detailed ranking. On the other hand, Duke did not sent any information about the ranking. Maybe some of the schools which do not provide the rankings in initial notification will tell you about your ranking if you ask them.


At some schools it is not necessarily ranked in an absolute manner. Sometimes it might depend on *who* turns down an offer, because they're specifically looking for somebody to work in a certain group or with a certain professor.

ethanmhny
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:41 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby ethanmhny » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:27 pm

pleasantly surprised that washington even bothered sending me a rejection email

wannabealgebraist
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:16 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby wannabealgebraist » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:29 pm

oopsie wrote:Any news regarding CU Boulder or UC Davis? Been completely radio silent since I submitted my applications...


CU Boulder's nonapplied math dept has sent out acceptances. I wanna say I've heard some people got waitlisted. Their visiting weekend was last week I believe.

hachiryu
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:26 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby hachiryu » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Log into U Chicago application website, you should have a decision document saying "lmao rejected".

ponchan
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby ponchan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm

riffraff11235 wrote:I've seen some posters here and on Gradcafe who seem to know how far up they are on certain waitlists. For instance, I saw two people say they were high up on Dartmouth's waitlist, but my waitlist letter didn't mention anything about my position relative to other applicants. Do they only mention it if you're near the top or something?


Depends on the program. Duke just said the list was "small" but that applicants weren't yet ranked. Another program specifically told me I was in the top of the list.

FourierTransformer
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 am

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby FourierTransformer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Dopeboyz wrote:I just got into a top 25 program with a 25% on the MGRE. Suck it ETS! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Congrats. Which school?

yoltin
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:49 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby yoltin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 am

oopsie wrote:Any news regarding CU Boulder or UC Davis? Been completely radio silent since I submitted my applications...


Davis already had their first round. They will send more offers if enough people decline.
Last edited by yoltin on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

fmcgla
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Postby fmcgla » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 am

eight887 wrote:Has anyone heard anything from BU recently?

I reached out the them about a week ago. This was their response.

"We have not yet sent out all PhD admission decisions at this time, but we’re hoping to have the remaining final decisions sent out very soon. If you don’t hear from us by the end of this month, please feel free to get in touch again to confirm the status of your application."




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests