Approaching professors prior to applying

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
yaskhn3

Approaching professors prior to applying

Postby yaskhn3 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 am

Hello!

I will be applying for a Ph.D. programme for Fall'19. People have been advising me to get in touch with the professors of universities, I want to get in. However, I'm not quite sure how to approach them. I have the following queries:

1. Do they bother to reply to an email coming from an unknown student in some part of the world?

2. Is this type of email seen as spam: "Hello! I'm from .... I've read your paper on .... I've worked on the same topic at ... and I was hoping to apply as a grad student under you"?

3. How should one approach them ideally?

Thanks in advance!

djysyed

Re: Approaching professors prior to applying

Postby djysyed » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:11 am

Professors are very busy so keep your emails under 4-5 sentences. Begin with a quick introduction (My name is ... and I'm studying at ... . I am reaching out to you because I am interested in applying to ... and my research interests line up with yours). Give a brief summary of what your background (So far, my background in ... includes some courses at the (undergrad or grad) level as well as some research experience (if you wrote a paper, mention which journal its in)). Tie it all up (I have some questions about PhD program and wanted to know if you would be willing to answer).

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”