HELP in getting high score in GRE Math subject test

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Fari

HELP in getting high score in GRE Math subject test

Post by Fari » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:38 pm

I am very puzzle about GRE Exam. I got 11 percentile in GRE MATH SUBJECT. Please help me how can I get higher score? Is "Cracking the GRE Mathematics Subject Test, 4th Edition" is differ from Cracking the GRE Mathematics Subject Test, 3rd Edition. SHould I purchase it??

mrb

Re: HELP in getting high score in GRE Math subject test

Post by mrb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:21 pm

What is your mathematics background? What classes have you taken?

Fari

Post by Fari » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 pm

I did not took any class.
I prepear my self. I have master degree in maths. but in gre paper I was solving the sums very slow. How can I increase my speed?

mrb

Post by mrb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:44 am

I meant what mathematics classes have you taken? You have a masters in mathematics. So what's giving you trouble on the test?

Fari

Post by Fari » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:57 am

for example Abstract algebra, group theory, topology space, metric space and other spaces etc., I don't know. I did not studied. How can I increase my speed?

mrb

Post by mrb » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:51 am

Well you're asking how do increase your speed, but it sounds like you don't even know half the material on the test?

As far as speed, honestly, that was my problem on the test, and the only thing I can tell you is to know the material very well and practice on the sample tests.

But with an 11 percentile and not knowing the group theory, topology, etc on the test, it really sounds like you just don't know the material. You say you have a Masters in math, but have you never had a class in basic abstract algebra or general topology?

Fari

Post by Fari » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:55 pm

I did not study about abstract algebra, spaces etc......
Give me some tips

blerg

Post by blerg » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:06 pm

There are no magic "tips" we can give you to get a better score. With a score like 11% it is clear you just do not know the material. We can help you with specific questions, managing your time, or pointing you towards proper resources to learn the material, but there is nothing we can post here that will significantly raise your score. If you are considering applying to PhD programs this year I would seriously reconsider as it is clear that you don't have the proper background.

On another note, stop posting this same question on other people's threads. Posting the same question multiple times is not the way to get your question answers, its a way to make you look stupid.

Fari

Post by Fari » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:10 pm

you have no idea about GRE.
Neither about meterial source nor about meterial.

blerg

Post by blerg » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:24 pm

I don't know anything about the GRE? I actually scored quite well on it.

I don't know what institution granted you a masters with no basic knowledge of topology or algebra, but it makes me upset that such institutions exist.

I also recommend you working on your English, which is lackluster to say the least.

Fari

Post by Fari » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:47 pm

It is saying that for getting marks in GRE is not a proof of intelligence. A Dogee can get well score like u

mrb

Post by mrb » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:30 pm

Fari, you don't need "tips", you need to learn the material. Either
1. enroll in a school that will actually teach you mathematics, or
2. buy some math books and teach yourself

There's no way around this. There is no tip that can teach you mathematics other than studying hard for a long time. And of course blerg is right; posting this in other threads will only annoy people.