Thoughts on joint degrees?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
d3dx3

Thoughts on joint degrees?

Post by d3dx3 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a math and CS double major. I love both subjects and always wanted to get my math PhD. Looking at grad schools I noticed Cornell and UPenn have joint masters degree programs in CS, so I could concurrently get both degrees. It sounds great to do something like that; I don't want to stop learning CS after undergrad.

Do most schools have something like this available, or is it something I need to specifically look for when applying to grad schools? Does anyone have experience or thoughts on doing a joint degree program? Is it a good idea or would there be too much workload? Thanks!!!

kieroda

Re: Thoughts on joint degrees?

Post by kieroda » Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 am

I’m not sure if your interested in a PhD, but University of Nebraska Lincoln has a joint CS and Math PhD program. I think some schools also let you do an MS in CS concurrently with a math PhD (for example University of Minnesota and LSU).

d3dx3

Re: Thoughts on joint degrees?

Post by d3dx3 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:35 pm

kieroda wrote:I’m not sure if your interested in a PhD, but University of Nebraska Lincoln has a joint CS and Math PhD program. I think some schools also let you do an MS in CS concurrently with a math PhD (for example University of Minnesota and LSU).
Yes, it's the latter I'm interested in. I'm more interested in coursework than research when it comes to CS.