Thoughts on joint degrees?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
d3dx3

Thoughts on joint degrees?

Postby d3dx3 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a math and CS double major. I love both subjects and always wanted to get my math PhD. Looking at grad schools I noticed Cornell and UPenn have joint masters degree programs in CS, so I could concurrently get both degrees. It sounds great to do something like that; I don't want to stop learning CS after undergrad.

Do most schools have something like this available, or is it something I need to specifically look for when applying to grad schools? Does anyone have experience or thoughts on doing a joint degree program? Is it a good idea or would there be too much workload? Thanks!!!

kieroda

Re: Thoughts on joint degrees?

Postby kieroda » Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 am

I’m not sure if your interested in a PhD, but University of Nebraska Lincoln has a joint CS and Math PhD program. I think some schools also let you do an MS in CS concurrently with a math PhD (for example University of Minnesota and LSU).

d3dx3

Re: Thoughts on joint degrees?

Postby d3dx3 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:35 pm

kieroda wrote:I’m not sure if your interested in a PhD, but University of Nebraska Lincoln has a joint CS and Math PhD program. I think some schools also let you do an MS in CS concurrently with a math PhD (for example University of Minnesota and LSU).

Yes, it's the latter I'm interested in. I'm more interested in coursework than research when it comes to CS.

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”