Making up for a poor GPA

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
steroids15

Making up for a poor GPA

Post by steroids15 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm graduating this year from an Ivy league university with a mediocre GPA (~3.1) and a major in physics. I've taken almost enough math classes to get a minor, but I got even worse grades in those classes (mostly Cs). I know I don't have any chance of getting into math grad school right now, but I'm hoping to go back to school in a few years with a new mindset and having studied everything I've missed out on.

I wanted to know the best things to do in my free time. I'll be working a full time job in LA, but are there places to take night classes or online classes? If I spend my time studying and learning on my own through MIT OCW or whatever, is there a way to put that work on paper? If I can ace the Math GRE, is that enough to show my improvement? I'm an international so I'm very worried about admissions.

Put simply, does anyone else have advice on being a non-traditional student in my situation.

Thank you so much!

-Jordan

MMDE

Re: Making up for a poor GPA

Post by MMDE » Sun May 13, 2018 2:33 am

This is purely my opinion, but I think taking a few masters courses and doing well in them will show that you can handle high level material (this is assuming you have a strong enough background to take such courses, as you said you have only a minor in mathematics). Also doing impressively well on the mGRE may, to some extent, patch up a few of those bad grades. It also highly depends at what level of an institution you intend on applying to.

Devell

Post by Devell » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 am

Hello, it seems like you really need help. You can hire a professional to help you to sort things out and move from that point - your strength, your weaknesses, etc. For sure your grades aren't the best and not enough (no offence) but it's fixable. If you're looking for online materials i recommend you to check out writeanypapers as they are someone write my paper in the first place. There are also a possibility with IRL courses that you can take after job but i don't know if it's a thing after dusk :D Maybe you'll get lucky and find something. But personally i'd just hire a professional for you and you only. This is a good investment as for me.

hido

Post by hido » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 am

What I’d recommend is to take some higher level undergraduate or graduate level math classes as a non-degree seeking student.
I’ve been doing this (so far, I’ve taken 3 classes) and this has been great.

I like this for a few reasons:

* No pressure to take many classes because I’m not a degree seeking student.
* Very easy application process. Since you’re not applying for a degree program, you’ll probably just need to fill out some forms.
* You still get transcripts. If you are lucky, you might even be able to transfer those credits in the future.
* Since you get to meet professors, you might be be able to get recommendation letters.