GRE Math Subject Score? Is 840 high enough?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
chauchitrung1996

GRE Math Subject Score? Is 840 high enough?

Post by chauchitrung1996 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:02 am

My first time asking on this forum, so if I make any mistake or use the wrong word, please do not hesitate to say it.

Regarding my question, I received my GRE Math Subject Score today, which is 840 - 85 percentile. I want to ask if it is a high score? And would it be an edge for me if I achieve a 900 instead, so that I know whether I should take the September exam.

I am new at this applying to America, so it would be great if you guys give a detailed answer, maybe let's say I want to apply for Pure Math in Uni of Notre Dame or Princeton.

Thank you for your help.

starlord37

Re: GRE Math Subject Score? Is 840 high enough?

Post by starlord37 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:30 am

With an 840, if you get rejected from those schools or any schools for that matter, it won’t be because your GRE score wasn’t high enough. You should see the other thread on this site about GRE subject yet cutoff score info.

cater99

Post by cater99 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Agree, 830-84% here. I think this score wouldn't help nor hurt us. Focus more on GPA man.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Fri May 11, 2018 5:51 pm

chauchitrung1996 wrote: I am new at this applying to America, so it would be great if you guys give a detailed answer, maybe let's say I want to apply for Pure Math in Uni of Notre Dame or Princeton.
Notre Dame and Princeton are in two different leagues entirely. A score of a 700 would be more than enough for Notre Dame. However, with places like Princeton, they look very heavily on how much original research you have published and your depth of your coursework. You would need to have taken reading courses at the level of second and third year graduate students before applying.

chauchitrung1996

Post by chauchitrung1996 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:13 am

djysyed wrote:
chauchitrung1996 wrote: I am new at this applying to America, so it would be great if you guys give a detailed answer, maybe let's say I want to apply for Pure Math in Uni of Notre Dame or Princeton.
Notre Dame and Princeton are in two different leagues entirely. A score of a 700 would be more than enough for Notre Dame. However, with places like Princeton, they look very heavily on how much original research you have published and your depth of your coursework. You would need to have taken reading courses at the level of second and third year graduate students before applying.
Yeah I think they are of different tiers, too. I want to ask if 900 instead of 840 would give me more edges in each kind of univer.

nothing

Post by nothing » Sat May 12, 2018 11:20 pm

I think 840 is good enough for schools below Michigan. In order to get into Princeton you need a really strong letter of recommendation from famous mathematician.
P/S: I am VNmese too. I just completed my phd applications a couple months ago. If you want to ask me something, you can send me a message :)

abrar86

Post by abrar86 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:20 am

chauchitrung1996 wrote:My first time asking on this forum, so if I make any mistake or use the wrong word, please do not hesitate to say it.

Regarding my question, I received my GRE Math Subject Score today, which is 840 - 85 percentile. I want to ask if it is a high score? And would it be an edge for me if I achieve a 900 instead, so that I know whether I should take the September exam.

I am new at this applying to America, so it would be great if you guys give a detailed answer, maybe let's say I want to apply for Pure Math in Uni of Notre Dame or Princeton.

Thank you for your help.
Plz let me know.....from where you have prepared. I mean plz share your resources

chauchitrung1996

Post by chauchitrung1996 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 am

abrar86 wrote:
chauchitrung1996 wrote:My first time asking on this forum, so if I make any mistake or use the wrong word, please do not hesitate to say it.

Thank you for your help.
Plz let me know.....from where you have prepared. I mean plz share your resources
To be honest, I just learn from James Stewart's Calculus and the textbook from ETS

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:03 pm

chauchitrung1996 wrote:
abrar86 wrote:

Thank you for your help.
To be honest, I just learn from James Stewart's Calculus and the textbook from ETS
Interesting, how strong was your undergraduate for such minimal preparation? Or did you rigorously go through Stewart's book? The problems in that text seem rather trivial compared to the exam.

DDswife

Post by DDswife » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:10 pm

there are always challenging problems here or there. Go carefully through the list of problems, and you will see.